Does hope matter? Do you have hope in something?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

From Wikipedia:

From Merriam Webster:

Does hope affect or impact you?

Philosophers have debated this topic for centuries, but what say you? Does the concept of hope even apply in today's world or is it an archaic notion that is no longer needed or useful?

I'm not just asking the question from a theoretical perspective, but also a personal one. Do you have hope in someone or something that is a part of your everyday life and if so how does that impact you?

For me personally, hope is an integral part of my life. I am a person of faith and hope in my beliefs is foundational to everything I do. Additionally, as a therapist I believe in people's free will and their ability to change things in their life for the better. Hope is a vital part of the therapeutic process.

2. iJohnHenry, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

<enigmatic post>

I worry not about hope for myself, but I give hope, in minute doses, to others.

</enigmatic post>

EDIT April 6th, 6:35 PM: Sorry doc, I seam to have busted your thread. lol

3. mscriv, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

No worries iJH, I don't think you busted anything. It's a difficult topic to talk about and some people probably don't know what to say or haven't really given much thought to it before. (that's why I thought it would be an interesting discussion)

I'm glad you are a part of instilling hope in others with your volunteer work and, if my memory serves me correctly, your regular job as well. I think that's awesome. :)

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm of two minds, which I don't think are really all that incompatible.

The cynical pragmatist side says, "hope in one hand and crap in the other, and see which piles up first." Hoping things work out is no substitute for doing something, anything, to make them work out. I grew up around people who took "hope" to suggest they should just let everything go and trust "God" to make their lives work out as "He" sees fit, and that passive attitude disgusts me.

On the other hand, hope is the counterpoint to despair and resignation that the worst will happen despite what we do. Hope can encourage us to take positive action when we would otherwise be discouraged into complacency by the perceived likelihood of failure. I have seen too many people with negative attitudes who have an almost uncanny tendency to get exactly what they expect out of life. Depressive fatalism likewise disgusts me.

The common thread, of course, is that hope is valuable to exactly the extent it gets you off your ass and into the game. Whatever encourages that is a virtue; whatever discourages it a vice.

As for my own sources and objects of hope, that's a bit too personal for PRSI.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Fantastic post... one of MANY! Though it's a terribly embarrassing cop-out, I really couldn't put it any better so I don't dare try, it's hopeless. :p

*curtsies*

6. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Well done my blue friend. :D

And I agree, great points Gelfin. Hope is powerless when paired with "idle hands". To me it should be both a source of comfort and motivation.

7. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

I am hoping for the day the world is engulfed in a Nuclear time bomb.. I am about ready to leave this crude and vile world.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Have you considered a therapist? They do wonders.

9. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

haha!

I was about to post the same thing, except I wouldn't want to leave the world, I would somehow miraculously survive and roam the devastated cities with a cloak, or maybe a cape, I haven't decided yet.

-------------

This perhaps raises a bigger question

Does having a cape matter? Do you own a cape or something similar?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Memory fart, I'm retired, and happy to be so. :D

I currently work with three not-for-profits, but the CCS is the only one I can claim to offer any hope to others, as a cancer survivour myself.

Had some laughs today, with a new-to-me passenger, on her 2nd treatment day.

We share a diagnosis. :)

11. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

In my life, I hope for the best and prepare for the worst. It has been my experience that a positive outlook on life is a pretty good determinant of one's success. Whether or not that extrapolates, I can't say for sure, but the hope for a better tomorrow is what gets me out of bed in the morning.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Oops!?! my bad. For some reason I was thinking your volunteer work as a driver was a regular job type of thing. Either way it's so cool that you do that. People facing cancer need hope. My cousin just go the word from MD Anderson that they feel his colon cancer is at stage 4. Scary stuff. :(

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's a little lot selfish. If you're so miserable why wish everyone else off the rock with you? Get help, a new hobby, a new plan, a new anything. There's still plenty of joy, beauty and wonder to be had. If you're not finding it, the problem is you, not the world at large.

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Am I a hopeful person in general? No. I generally don't care about anything, least of all hope for anything.

Is it important? It might be. Hope can drive people to great lengths.

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I believe in hope, but in the perspective that makes sense to me.

I hope for things that are outside of my control. Everything else I believe what you put in, determines what you get out.

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Word.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

19. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I think its OK to hope for things you want to happen that are beyond your control.

If you hope some things to happen that you have the potential to alter the outcome of yourself (vs. doing something about it), you will often get disappointed and some ppl even "blame others" (even "god") when their hopes are squashed. This is the mentality of a "loser". It's one thing to lose when you've given it a shot, but if you've lost without even trying and just "hoping" it works your way, you are a loser from the start.

It's like "praying" to win the lottery. If you want to be rich, go out and start a business and give it a shot rather then spend the time praying to become rich and "hoping" your god makes you the chosen one.