does iOS 5 support podcast subscriptions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonywalker23, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

currently you have to go to the podcast section of the itunes store app and download podcast one at a time to listen. if you subscribe to a podcast on a computer you have to sync just to get the newest episodes. the alternative has been to use the 'podcaster' app.

so will someone with ios5 please tell me, have you seen a way to subscribe to podcast directly from the phone?

2. ciaocibai macrumors newbie

ciaocibai

I'm afraid to say it doesn't, at least not in the current build. I was hoping that it might be coming since they are moving other things to the cloud, but no luck so far.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple is by far the worlds most popular podcast catcher so its really odd thay podcast subscriptions dont exist. I'd like to shut it off when not in use but if I do then I wont have the latest podcasts ready for my next sync.

So while wireless sync will make syncing easier, it still doesn't take away from the fact that iOS isn't a PC-Free experience if I still need to keep my Mac on all day.

I was really hoping the time capsule rumors were true because iCloud is more about storage than streaming so it would've been nice to have a TC that cached and served all this content locally.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Sad face :-(

So in fact regular, painful syncing will still be neccessary.

WHY APPLE???

Phazer

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I really hope Apple adds the ability to refresh podcasts in future builds. Otherwise their whole Post-PC spiel is a sham.

6. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I would recommend Instacast. Its great and lets you download podcasts over 3G as well as wifi. Apple needs to add this functionality. Surprised it wasn't released back with the iPhone 3G.

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Downcast is another good app that can do this. You can set it to check every hour, 3 hours, every day, etc. You can also listen to podcasts at 1.5x or 2x which I really like. You can make playlists too.

I've tried instacast, Pocket Casts, Stitcher Radio, and downcast. Downcast is my pick. Stitcher is 2nd place but that's streaming only and does not support faster playback.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Subscribe on your computer and enable automatic sync on your iPhone via iTunes.

9. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I recommend Downcast as well. Great app to subscribe and listen to podcasts.

10. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

I was also hoping to be able to get podcasts automatically over wifi without needing to sync with my Mac. :( I think this is one of these things where if Steve listened to podcasts, it would be in iOS5 ...

Do any of these podcast apps allow you to restrict use over 3G so you're sure it'll only work over wifi?

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Downcast does...

12. amdmaxx macrumors member

What if you are in Wifi area away from your home?

I am also very disappointed that Apples doesn't have wireless podcast syncing.
    Thats all I listen to on/from work and gym...

13. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Does Downcast let you play video podcasts in the background? Meaning the audio will still play if you go back to the home screen?

14. MonsterRain macrumors member

So...do any of these, or other iPhone apps, allow you to download podcasts that you pay for (that normally download through iTunes) through them? I have a few of those types of podcasts, and I'd like to be able to use one app to rule them all.

15. sbddude macrumors 6502a

downcast does.