Does IOS6 turn by turn navigation mean no need for tomtom on iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by will0407, Sep 16, 2012.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I currently have tomtom installed on my iphone, and find it pretty useful. I also have the car cradle as it came free with the 2nd hand iphone I bought, but I barely use it as the GPS in the IP4s is good enough for most areas I venture to.

Now that ios6 has turn by turn navigation, and maps provided to apple by tomtom (amonsgt others), do I need tomtom anymore?

(i'm in the UK if that has any bearing on the response)

2. Abbsta macrumors member

I have tomtom as well minus the cradle. The good thing about it is that it could be used offline so, when I'm in Europe I can still use without needing a data connection.

Apple's 'maps' would (I'm guessing here) require a data connection to download the route and to re-route if need be.

3. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

It would seem to me that the biggest difference between the two comes down to data. If I remember correctly, tomtom uses maps that are located on the device, where as apple maps are accessed via your network connection, therefor using data to download and cache

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I would keep it. Apple maps requires internet connection. Tomtom has those maps on your phone so will be useful for when you are in an area with no cellular connection

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

There are a lot of features that TT offers that AM don't offer yet. So, I'll keep TT and use it until AM starts to get more updates.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Keeping my TomTom. It works offline, which is awesome. Plus I ordered the 64GB iPhone, so the 1.somethignGB app size for TomTom will be half as annoying as it is right now on my 32GB iPhone 4.

8. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

So how is the Tomtom App for iPhone?

I am selling my Rezound which I mainly use for the GPS only.

I am looking forward to only carrying one phone around with me, lol

9. aaronchow, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

aaronchow macrumors regular

The answer is yes and no. As others have said, the data connection is one issue, but I think the mapping provider is another important issue. TomTom uses Nokia Maps as their mapping data provider, and Nokia Maps is known for great coverage (especially in Europe) and they update the map quarterly (the most expensive part of the service). This is why Nokia Maps runs on four out of five GPS devices. However, I don't know how Apple will update the data, so you may want to use both and see which one fits you better.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I've never use the iPhone tomtom app but I was a Waze user. I can say I will most definitely be solely using the new stock Apple nav app. I upgraded my 4S to iOS 6 GM and have the following things to say about it.

1. Uses Siri commands to set designations
    2. Nav info shows in lock screen
    3. Phone automatically wakes to show upcoming turns and voice instructions and then turns off again
    4. Nav directions display on upper menu bar area when out of Maps app, just like when you're on a phone call and in another app
    5. If there are turns in very close distance to each other, the screen shows the next turn on the screen also (this was something frustrating with other gps apps I've used since it was hard to gauge what lane to be in after a turn to prepare for the next turn)
    6. When setting a destination, you get a visual representation of the route options along with distance vs time (Waze has this but not many other gps apps I tried)

I can try to answer any specific questions anyone has on the functionality.

BTW...I'm in the US

11. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

That made no sense. Are you keeping the app and the 1gb app on your phone or are you using apple maps?

12. meganator macrumors member

It made perfect sense. He is keeping the tomtom app because it can be used offline and the app size will be less noticeable on his new larger capacity phone...

13. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Sounds very good, so we just need to wait for the maps to be downloadable.

14. McPhallus macrumors regular

I use Motion-X GPS whenever my car GPS doesn't find an address, and it's a pretty solid app. It caches up to 2GB of maps (bing, I think), and the cache can be flushed at any time. I'm curious to see how the new maps feature works. To me it's one of the biggest improvements in IOS 6.

15. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

The Maps are not provided by TomTom, the extra data is such as gas stations etc are provided by them, the maps are Apple's own.

I'll give the Apple Maps a whirl, but I will keep my TomTom. I've gone through quite a few over time and for me TomTom and Navigon were the best by far. Destinations were accurate and routes chosen were excellent.

Performance of the maps will have to increase, which I expect it to be.

Space isn't a big issue, I've got Navigon and TomTom currently installed and I've still got 17GB left on a 32GB iPhone. It helps that all my music is on iTunes Match and Spotify.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

We can't answer that for you when you don't provide your requirements. If turn by turn is all you need then the answer is no. If your needs go beyond that then you need to consider it a bit more. As stated above, TomTom's maps are stored locally which is advantageous if you're in an area with no coverage, an outage, or in an area where you're subject to data roaming fees.

I personally find IQRoutes to be beneficial and I haven't seen anything indicating that Apple's app will include it or if they will utilize something similar of their own.

Best bet is to wait and try both and see which suits you best. It's not like you have to pay for Apple's solution and if you already have TomTom you'll have everything you need to compare and evaluate. This isn't a one-size-fits-all matter. For some, Apple's mapping app may be all that they need/want. For others TomTom will be a better option. For yet others it's probably worth considering yet another nav solution.

17. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

The 3rd party GPS app makers are going to need to innovate because you'll need something compelling to pay for something you can get for free, as long as it has the basic necessary functions. And Apple obviously has an edge since they can fully integrate their functionality with the items I pointed out above. I'm curious what innovations come about.

18. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Can someone explain how the tomtom app could be used offline? In navigation turn by turn? Or Do you mean you can search for things and directions offline? I thought it still needed a signal to grab your coordinates b/c it uses location data in settings. Thanks!

19. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

i have the tomtom app. I Highly recommended if you drive a lot and need directions. For 40/50$ is a steal compared to the any Hardware gps device out there.

you can hear turn by turn over your car radio, music and phone all at the same time, and everything will auto mute when needed. FOr 20$ more a yeare you can get traffic updates, which here in the US is not really good, but in Europe it should be much better.

I purchased 1, and I am using it on 2 phones, and ipad.

20. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

It uses GPS you don't need to have a connection for that.

iPad needs a connection for interpolating your position, don't know if it actually needs to transfer data.

21. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It's a shame that Garmin bought Navigon and destroyed the app making it almost useless . Thinking about buying the Tom Tom app now

22. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have always used navigon since buying an iPhone 3g. though iOS 6 uses data for navigation, i must say its been great. i will probably replace navigon with iOS 6 turn by turn. the fluidity and look is just awesome.

23. bobright macrumors 601

I was not even aware of this that data wasn't needed for Tomtom to run, how about Navigon is it the same?

If this is the case might the new Apple Maps be slow/stutter on routes?

24. bmms8 macrumors 68020

navigon is the same with the maps built into the app.

i have used iOS 6 maps and no problem so far. i am a huge fan of navigon too. to me the look of iOS 6 maps just looks better and is more polished.

25. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Thanks so could you use it outside the US without without a data plan or international plan(thru att/vs/S)? (provided you had that tomtom version for that country)