Does iPhone 4/4s front glass = rear glass plate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSayuSay, Nov 27, 2011.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I'm curious about the hardness of glass plate in front vs. rear of an iPhone.

For a bit more than a year I've owned an iPod Touch, and I'm quite excited with its front glass. I don't use any kind of screen protector for it (but I use silicon case for rear body though, you know it's prone to scratch as hell). I bring it quite often, put it in pocket (no coins/key though). I treat it carefully (but not OCD enough) and I'm impressed, no scratch at all till today on this iPod's front glass (not so much with its rear).

Now while I'm upgrading to an iPhone 4s, I'm curious .. do Apple use identical or even better glass for iPhone?
    If so, do Apple use the same identical glass on iPhone's front and rear face?

If you have the real truth, that would certainly help, but if you don't, please share your experience with your iPhone 4/4s. Does the rear tend to scratch more than front, or equally no? equally yes?

I realize maybe many of us put iPhone on table with front side up. But I think if Apple put at least the same glass we find on iPod touch, it'll sufficiently resist to scratches.

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Clear screen protector on front and back of my 4 and now 4s. I don't have to worry about this stuff anymore.

I worry a little about the camera being uncovered but putting the screen protector on actually keeps it up off the table just a little, plus a case to keep it well away from things and you never have to worry about that either.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Well the oleophobic coating is prone to scratching and wearing off.

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I never used a case or a screen protector on my old 4 and it had very minimal scratching after a year. By very minimal I mean you would have to hold it under a very bright light to notice at all. If you aren't clumsy with your devices I feel that screen protectors and cases are not needed. I used a bumper for a while and it did more harm scratching the metal than good. I owned that 4 since launch day and have the 4S now and have no plans to use a case or screen protectors.

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

On both the iPhone 4 and 4S, the front is a special shatter-resistant glass; I don't know if the iPod touch 4 has any special glass. From what I see online in Apple's documentation and on various forums, it doesn't seem to be.

The back face on both the 4 and 4S is regular glass.

Both the front and back are coated to prevent fingerprints, though this coating is also the first layer to scratch.

Screen protectors on the front/rear are strongly recommended if you don't want scratches. Remember, it isn't the glass you're scratching, it's the delicate coating.

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Got any link to the documentation?