Does iPhone 4 do voice navigation with iOS7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Sep 30, 2013.

1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

2. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I don't know if turn-by-turn directions is dependent on having Siri. That's exactly why I'm asking for a friend of mine. He may get a used one.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No voice navigation for iPhone 4.

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

No voice navigation with the built-in maps app.

But Google Maps actually does turn-by-turn navigation with voice if you want to give that a shot. Worked pretty well when I used it on a recent trip.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Completely irresponsible of Apple to leave turn by turn Navigation out of iOS 6 and now iOS 7 for iPhone 4 users. There is zero reason for apple leaving out this feature in their own maps app while Google offers it.

6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Any other dead horses you wish to beat up again? Maybe we harp on the fact that the original iPhone didn't include cut/copy/paste some more.

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

The original iPhone had cut/copy/paste. I think you meant MMS, lol.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

It did not have cut copy paste mms App Store or video recording

9. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Are you joking? It had cut copy paste AND the App Store. It didn't have video recording, correct.

I smell a troll. :confused:

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

No poster probably meant iPhone 2007 with version 1 iPhone os. Copy and paste didn't appear to version 3.0 of the iPhone os. And I don't believe iPhone 2007 ever got MMS ever.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So just use Googlemaps man, Cook says it's OK. From all reports GM is more accurate, or do you have a sentimental attachment to Apple Maps?

12. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Short answer (without the side-rants) is no.

Workaround for the 4 is to use Waze, Scout or other third party app that does have voice turn-by-turn directions.

13. businezguy macrumors 6502

Pardon me but are you saying your THE Abe Frohman, sausage king of Chicago? Surely not!

14. parseckadet, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

This is exactly what I meant. The iPhone 2G did not originally ship with cut/copy/paste, and you would have thought it was the scandal of the century around here. It was eventually added later, but even then people were complaining the they shouldn't have had to wait so long.

----------

I'm the troll? You're the one who brought up some long dead argument from a year ago and heaped on the hyperbole (irresponsible? Really?) when it's, in fact, no longer even remotely relevant. All I did was point out how ridiculous you were being.

15. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

your lack of iPhone knowledge is hilarious. The first iphone did not have copy and paste nor an app store.

The app store didn't come until the iPhone 3G. And Copy/paste didn't come until another iOS update, well before they called it iOS.

16. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Correct, in hindsight I read the post a little too quickly. My bad.

17. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Are you you suggesting I'm not who I say I am?

18. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Completely moronic for you to expect turn by turn directions. Grow up.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually any android device including the ancient original HTC G1 with android 1.6 has turn by turn nav.

That's a 2008 phone by the way.

Apple maps needs all the help it can get and leaving iPhone 4 owners out doesn't do them any good with feedback needed.

20. user-name-here macrumors 65816

While I don't think the OP should expect siri/voice navigation on the 4... "moronic"? Really? Even if that was trying to be a joke it was completely off the mark :confused:

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

As already mentioned, there are plenty of other (better) options available to iPhone 4 users, the maps fiasco has died down (even though numerous problems still remain unfixed), and Apple certainly isn't hurting in sales (the only place it really counts).

We can all move on now.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

I've moved on a long time ago. I had originally just responded to the OP's question about iPhone 4 and voice navigation. But others commented on my comments so I felt the need to respond. That's all. Anyways an Apple Executive already paid for the maps fiasco with their job loss/resignation whatever u call it last year.

23. elemenoP macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 and I use Google Maps and it speaks the turn by turn navigation.

24. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Moronic to say it's irresponsible for not putting a feature the OP wants on his phone/OS. The narcissism today astounds me.