Does iPhone 4s has this problem when taking the photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hajime, Jun 24, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I often hear that the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy Note produce the best quality photos. I bought a Galaxy Note recently and noticed that there are strange lines coming from the ceiling lights. Do you know what they are? I changed various settings but the resulting photos all had this problem. Changing the settings changed the overall color of the cafe. Does the iPhone 4s has this problem? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      833.2 KB
      Views:
  2. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

Dirty camera lens. Those are simply streaks. I saved your pic then enlarged it. There's also a minute amount of camera shake. I would use a good optic lens cleaning cloth.

3. FileTran macrumors newbie

Here is how to fix!

Ok,
    turn off your iphone. Get a damp cloth and wipe the camra and the led light! Turn it on and go to the camrea.. if it still has those streaks then download a free camrea app via app store... then open it up and see if you still have those streaks! If so restore your iphone via itunes! If still have streaks go to your nearest at&t,Verison,sprint and let them check it out! Hope i helped! email me at JoshuaMicheal@me.com

Jailbreak ios 5.1.1 http://www.mediafire.com/?ramdudqwhshl0p4\

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Many thanks for the hints. I have a small piece of plastic sheet that protects the len. It came with my GNote originally. Is it a good idea to remove it? Actually, am I supposed to remove it?

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Lol...yes, that should be removed. It's just a protective film like those used on the display when u open the box. Peel it off and you'll be good to go.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Just fill me in because I am curious...You said you have been having this problem since you got the note. Obviously u knew something wasn't right and u adjusted all the settings, etc. Are u honestly saying that during the whole troubleshooting processs you never once thought to remove the plastic film covering the lense? Just seems crazy that you would notice the problem, then change settings, shoot test photos, change more settings, shoot more test photos, start a thread about it, etc. And u knew the film was there the whole time. Not trying to insult you, but if it were me I would have removed that film after the 1st pic didn't look right.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow note people do this too I thought it was a apple customer exclusive. :p

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

For the first few days after purchase, the photos I took were impressive.
    Actually, I did not even realize that there was a plastic film! So, I focused on changing the settings. Besides, somebody mentioned that some Samsung phones have this "hardware" problem.

Are the following caused by the protective film as well?

In 2.jpg, the cafe was not dark but in the photo, it is.
    In 3.jpg, again, the cafe was not that dark in reality.
    In 4.jpg, the wall should be white and the pillows should be gray.
    However, things in this photo are somewhat yellowish.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      720.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
  9. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

The photos do appear a bit underexposed and unsharp.

10. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

This is not caused by protective film, the first two photos came out that way, because the dynamic range in your camera just couldn't handle the shot. A bright spot in the middle of a darker background is hard for any small-sensor camera phone, but the iPhone 4S does it best. The Note isn't great in this regard.

The last photo is just a white-balance issue. I've seen this on Android phones as well, but haven't seen it on my 4S.

Hey, I remember your thread about getting the Note or the iPhone 4S, you were particularly interested in a phone that lets you take notes, specifically to replace your hand-written paper notes. How's the Note working out for you?

11. hajime, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

By "the first two photos", do you mean 2.jpg and 3.jpg? Is there a software fix?

Thanks for the explanations. Somebody mentioned that some Samsung phones have the problem shown in the first photo (i.e. 1.jpg).

About my experience with the Note... If the problems I mentioned in this thread could be solved satisfactory, I would be 97% happy with it. Right now, I am about 90% happy with the Note. I have tried both the iPhone 4S and the S3 in stores. I also tried the iPad 2 (a bit heavy for me). I still consider the Note to be the best overall. The remaining 3% is due to the black crush/clipping problem. There is an app which makes the problem invisible. It is not a major issue.

Yes, I take notes using it everyday. I have never used the iPodTouch since I bought the Note. I have touched the iPT twice by chance last week. The device looked really really small to me. I felt like a giant handling a very very small device. Before I bought the Note, I worried that it might be too big for an average size person. It is not. The size is just right. Not too small but not too large. Another interesting thing is that when I was using the iPodTouch, I only downloaded a few free apps. I never purchased any app. Since I bought the Note, I became addicted to downloading apps. I have also bought a few ones. It is very very useful. Highly recommended.

----------

Thanks for the comment. Any way to improve the photos?

I read that there are apps which might take better photos/videos than the stock camera. Any recommended ones? I guess the best ones might have both iOS and Android versions.

12. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If a shot is blurry, you can't really fix that easily afterwards. On my iPhone, to take the photo, I always try to use the volume button instead of the button on the screen. Also, when pressing the button, be as still as possible and hold your breath - this stops camera shake much of the time.

There are other apps out there that do a better job than the standard iOS app, but I've not really tried them. Sometimes, I will edit them in Aperture afterwards and that's sufficient for me. I find it a pain to edit photos on my iPhone. I'm not looking for perfection on my iPhone, after all, it is a camera on my phone (4s) - it's still better than most point-and-shoot cameras. If I want a good shot, I will use my dSLR.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not so much a problem of the device as a lack of understanding basic photography which covers most of the "issues" in this thread aside from the one caused by the protective film over the lens.

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

If I use a SGP's glas.t screen protector, which is a glass protector covering the screen including the camera, will it affect the quality of the photos? I am concerned that it might affect the photo quality as the small plastic protective film does.

15. hajime, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030