Does iPhone 5s/5c still have the "static sound" problem like 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike999, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Mike999 macrumors newbie

Obviously gonna wait for the release of iphone 6, but was wondering if the iphone 5 generation (mention if you have S or C) still has the "static noise" prob lots of people complained about with iphone 4s, like over here (click me).

So many people complained when they made a call they could hear some static noise or digitial crackling, on loud speaker or when holding against ear.

Was this fixed in the iphone 5 generation?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It had never been an issue on my 5 or 5S, but then I never had static on my 4 or 4S either.:apple:

3. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Does iPhone 5s/5c still have the "static sound" problem like 4s?

Never had any static issues with any iPhone. Never heard of the static issue you speak of. It is news to me.

4. Mike999 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you click this link you go to a thread were alot of iphone users complain about noise they hear when making a call.

Therefore wanted to know if this was fixed in the iphone 5 series?

Anybody here who had both iphone 4(s) and iphone 5?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just the lack of replies should tell you something.

6. I7guy macrumors P6

I do not have any noise or cracking when I make phone calls. I wonder if this depends on the carrier.

7. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I'm sure if you looked at the sales numbers of the 4S (which is still being sold today, btw), you'd realize this is about as big of a non-issue as you can come up with.

First quarter this year, 2014, Apple sold over 10 million 4Ss. Similar quarter a year before, 17 million. And this is years after that phone came out. And then there's the more modern phones with even huger numbers. If static during calls was a real problem, they wouldn't keep selling so many. I don't know why we have a tendency to identify an issue such a minuscule percentage of people run into and think it must apply to an enormously larger pool.

It was a tempest in a teapot and was a carrier related issue (only Sprint and Verizon had a smattering of these problems on their CDMA networks), not an iPhone issue. Any phone on those networks had the rare potential to get static (not just iPhone), but everyone was pumped to try to break the next 'antenna gate', that they'd make a huge noise over every thing they came across.

This wasn't a real issue back then. It's not an issue today. All of the phones have excellent call quality.