does iphone 6 support VoLTE for TMO?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naix, Oct 20, 2014.

1. naix macrumors member

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes. Good quality. Clear calls.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Works really well, even on speaker.
    Wifi calling rocks too.

4. naix thread starter macrumors member

5. daraj macrumors member

question: If i unlock an at&t 6+ variant and use it on tmobile will i get "magically" the volte option? Is it something triggered as soon as you pop in a tmobile sim card or the entire tmobile software is different?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

VoLTE works on an AT&T iPhone 6/6+ running a Verizon or T-Mobile SIM card. It did, however, ask me for a carrier update (should be automatic) when I installed the T-Mobile and Verizon SIM card. Ironically enough, it's my AT&T iPhone with AT&T SIM that doesn't work on VoLTE. I get dropped down to 4G/HSPA on AT&T when I make calls. The iPhone is set to Voice & Data in Enable LTE but I guess the towers in my area just haven't been upgraded yet.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Did you transfer your settings to the new SIM or did you carry it over from an older iPhone? I purchased the T-Mobile iPhone 6 online and inserted the AT&T SIM from my iPhone 6. LTE worked OK, but I did get a text a few hours later saying that I should replace my SIM. I did that at a store later that evening and everything's worked fine since then. I didn't specifically test VoLTE on the old SIM.

8. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Just bought a VZW 6, popped in my TMo sim, VoLTE works perfectly, as does calls over WiFi. Didnt change a setting.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Right now AT&T has VoLTE enabled in just two markets:

- Minneapolis
    - Greater Chicagoland area (though they're calling it "Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana" because it sounds like more work has been done than actually is, when you can claim three states... even if it's just one small portion of an edge of each state)

EDIT: Looks like Milwaukee is part of that Chicagoland coverage, so there's that too.

If you're not in these areas, you will not get HD Voice with AT&T. Maybe sometime in 2015.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Figured this was the case. Pretty annoying since dropping down to 4G seems to disconnect the internet for a second (which is noticeable when tethering as I'd have to reconnect). :p

11. daraj macrumors member

So even through I have at&t variant when I put the tmobile sim card in, the VOLTE option and the wifi calling will work?

12. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

It does on my Verizon model on TMo. If/When you buy it, not sure it matters, but before turning it on for first time make sure you put your sim from TMobile in. Now I know for a fact that all Verizon iPhones come unlocked. Not sure about ATT.

13. daraj macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. Anyone can confirm this or it doesnt matter which sim is inserted first?

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It doesn't matter. I activated my AT&T 6 Plus with the included AT&T SIM card and VoLTE worked just fine with Verizon and T-Mobile SIM.

15. daraj macrumors member

great thats what i want to know. what about wifi calling on tmobile did that work also? (with tmobile sim for sure)