Does iPhone display 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Confuzzeled23, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if the iPhone actually displays 4G. I am on TELUS and my phone is displaying 3G, I am getting 5.92 mbps down, 1.78 mbps up, ping 113. TELUS has been saying that there is an issue with the new nano sim and connecting to 4G but their info is contradicting. Some reps are saying that the iPhone doesn't display 4G, only 3G or LTE. Is this true?

Also, I am covered according to Telus's 4G map. But I am getting 3G. Are these 3G or 4G speeds I have listed?

Also, this issue has been found on Bell, TELUS, Virgin and Koodo.

Thanks for any help.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Depends on which iPhone you have.

If it's the 3G, 3GS or 4, it will never say "4G."

If it's the 4S, it will display "4G" when it's on an HSPA+ network, IF the cell provider configures it to do this in their carrier profile.

The same is true for the iPhone 5.

If the 5 is on an LTE network, it will say "LTE."

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Those look like HSPA+ speeds to me, not LTE.

AT&T has done this. The whole "4G" definition got very muddied a few years ago when Deutsche Telekom lobbied the ITU to let HSPA into the definition of 4G. In many countries (most of Europe and Australia, for instance), local law does not permit HSPA networks to be called "4G" but in the US it does. I don't know about Canada.

Therefore, when the phone is on LTE, it explicitly says LTE and not 4G.

I'd find out what Telus means by "4G." If they use AT&T's definition, then you might be in a "4G" area but not an LTE area. See if their coverage map identifies LTE areas.

4. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok this makes sense. On their map I am in a HSPA+ area. Not LTE in my area. So I guess I am getting the correct speeds. I was just confused because it doesn't actually show 4G on my iPhone 5. Thanks for the clarification! :)

5. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Only AT&T iPhones display 4G for HSPA connection. Apple doesnt display 4G for any other carrier in the world even though your HSPA network is much newer and faster than
    AT&T. It makes no sense, and it's confusing. Did I mention its retarded lol?