Does iPhone revert to 3G when asleep

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lpeedin, May 30, 2012.

1. lpeedin macrumors regular

No matter if I'm clearly within WiFi range my iPhone always seems to revert to 3G when asleep. This is witnessed by the 3G symbol being shown when I first wake the phone.

Is it actually reverting to 3G? Meaning that all my iCloud backups are done using data minutes vs. WiFi.

2. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Unless the WiFi connection is actively being used, it will turn off when the device is put to sleep.

iCloud backups, however will only backup automatically if you're in range of a WiFi network and plugged in to power. You can force a backup otherwise, but the automatic ones won't use 3G.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

ICloud backups are only done on wifi. After the backup completes, the phone turns off wifi to save battery. It then wakes up wifi after you turn it on, but has a 3G signal first.

4. lpeedin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really concerned about data usage as 99% of the time I'm on WiFi. Didn't think about the fact that iCloud only happens when on WiFi and plugged in. Guess that's why mine always happens within 5 minutes of 10:15 PM. That when I plug the phone in and go to bed. :p