Does it annoy you when someone is not paying attention to a movie?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Jul 19, 2009.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

My girlfriend suggested we watch a movie together, we dont have the same taste in movies that i can say for sure. Were she likes girly movies (anything with Matthue Mcconahey in it) i tend to like movies that are well directed and have a good story behind it.

So i got some popcorn, dimmed the light and got the room all ready for the movie. The movie started and everything was going well until i looked over to her and saw that she was texting to here friends on her BlackBerry. I paused the movie so that she could finish and as soon as i did so she stooped and put here BB to her side (like a naughty student talking during class). I started the movie, i got into the story, things were getting interesting and BAM!!! she was texting again. I got up and left the room, got on my Mac and enjoyed my company with it.

From that day forward whenever we watch a movie i always demand she keeps here mobile phone out of the room or else we wont watch the movie together.

I cant be the only one now can I?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you should just lighten up on it. Clearly she is not into the movie but want to spend time with you. Just enjoy her company do not care what she is doing.

3. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would understand if it is a movie she is interested in but she does that while watching the movies she want and like.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Maybe she likes lame movies so she can text at the same time and not feel bad for it, and keep track of the plot.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'd only worry if she starts texting during sex.

6. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Maybe you should be more concerned with Whom she's texting? ;)

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Oh, and no, it doesn't bother me at all if someone isn't paying attention unless they're TALKING during the movie. That drives me nuts.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could you just ask her to not send text messages? How old are you both? Not trying to sound insulting or anything, but my friends used to do similar things (games or messaging) back when we were at school.

9. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I don't see what the big deal is, who cares if she is texting during the movie? It doesn't bother me at all if she wants to text or surf the web during a film, maybe because I am the guy that gets restless sometimes during a film and will check my email or text a friend during a movie.

While my ex and I had some similar tastes in music one thing that we were very different with was horror movies, while she was really into horror movies I have never been into them and have found that most of the ones that I have seen are actually quite lame. There were many times when she wanted to see a new horror movie and so we went to see the movie or got it on DVD and about mid-way through I would be very bored with the movie and get on my iphone and surf the web or text some friends. She didn't seem to mind. Just because we aren't both enjoying the film didn't mean we were not enjoying each others company.

10. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

We are both in our 20's.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

when first met my fiance she was horrible to watch movies with. she would always get so distracted when we would watch things at home. we could only ever watch a movie start to finnish at a movie theater. but since then she has gotten better. i think it is a growing up thing.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm a big fan of movies, usually watch at least a couple a week at home (Netflix) and two or three times a month in the theater, I like to really get into the film....so when someone isn't paying attention, texting or running in and out I get pretty p***ed off. Solution: I don't watch movies with friends I know who do that. I have four or five friends who I always watch movies with and four or five who I never will watch a movie with, the rest are somewhere in between.

When I'm seeing a new girl I like to watch a movie I've already seen with her. Some girls just don't appreciate a good movie....which is fine, I just don't watch movies with them. :)

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Women like to multitask.

In my case particularly my attention-span is almost not existent and it's very hard for me to focus on one particularly thing only. Most times I try to watch a movie and not do anything else I end up falling asleep, even if it's a movie I love.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You should get used to it...young women text...A LOT and in almost EVERY situation

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I look at it like this...would my woman be mad if I was texting away during a movie she dragged me to? Chances are very good.....so, I will give her crap if she does it

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Sounds like a healthy way to deal with it... :rolleyes:

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

It drives me nuts when people don't pay attention in a movie. So I completely understand your frustration. Especially if they ask later, "What just happened?"

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I think she should be able to do as she pleases right up until they ask "what happened? I missed it!" Then you can rightfully give them s*** for it to your heart's content. Walking away is acceptable.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Exactly. And from my experience, the people who ask "what happened?" all the time do so whether they are paying attention or not.

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I usually just reply to their question: "Bruce Willis is a ghost. It's your fault."

21. MegaMillions macrumors regular

To the OP, yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, and YES! I mean no. You aren't the only one.

But, I have some bad news. You and I, and maybe another hand full of people that you could count on two hands, are the only people in the world that actually want to get into movies and watch them the way the director intended.

Okay i'm exaggerating a bit, but it's a pretty grim situation. :(

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Some people can pay attention to several things at once. It's called multi tasking... :rolleyes:

23. MegaMillions macrumors regular

You'll always get more into the movie if you don't do anything else while watching it.

24. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

It only pisses me off if they zone out, and then need to ask what's going on.

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I can watch a movie + browse the web + text and the same time and understand the movie better than my sister, for example. Each person has their own limitations.

I don't understand why it would bother you anyway, as long as they don't ask you what's going on all the time.