iPad Pro Does it make sense to buy an iPad pro now or wait until the release in the fall?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Winstonp, Aug 4, 2019.

  1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #1
    dont want to miss any major features. The buying guide suggests we won't get an updated pro this year. Should I wait to be safe?
     
  2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. Conutz macrumors regular

    Conutz

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2014
    Location:
    Joburg
    #3
    There is your answer - wait.
     
  4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

    JayMysterio

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    Location:
    Rock Ridge, California
    #4
    The answer to this question whenever it comes up is usually the same.

    If you aren't in a pressing need for a new device of any kind, why not wait and get the latest?

    If you can wait, if a new iPP does get released, you will get it with iPadOS already installed. Win Win.
     
  5. yellolab macrumors member

    yellolab

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2015
    Location:
    Coastal NC
    #5
    I bought mine this wekend- tax free weekend here, so that was what put me over the edge.
     
  6. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    Thanks. I can definitely manage with my iPad 6 for the time being. Though I share with my kids ha
     
  7. Jonathantuba, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

    Jonathantuba macrumors regular

    Jonathantuba

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2017
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    No don’t wait. The present iPad Pro is near perfect (particularly with iOS 13), and Apple tends to only update the iPad about every 18 months. So unlikely to be update until 2020.

    My guess is when they do update it will just be an S tweak after the major advances last year.
     
  8. doboy macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2007
    #8
    Don't buy now unless you can get over $200 discount.
     
  9. rumz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    Location:
    Utah
    #9
    Doesn’t seem like we’ll see any substantial update this fall if there is one (major feature-wise)— but as doboy suggested... keep your eye out for a discount, there have been some decent sales lately— $150-$300 off even.
     
  10. EugW, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019

    EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #10
    I’m waiting myself. I’m fine with either Q4 2019 or H1 2020. I’m expecting 6 GB RAM with A13X, and I’m hoping for a 128 GB at the entry level.

    5G will not make an appearance, but I don’t care since I’ll most likely be getting a WiFi model.
     
  11. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

    AutomaticApple

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2018
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #11
    Go for it. The next iPad Pro probably won’t be released until March of 2020.
     
  12. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

    digitalexplr

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Location:
    Central Missouri
    #12
    I don't see any new iPads until they are ready to release a cellular version with 5g. That won't be till sometime in 2020.
     
  13. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #13
    Why? No need to wait for 5G.
     
  14. arksun macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    #14
    Amazon has them on sale for $150 off at least, and if you're in Florida, it's tax free until tomorrow. That's a great price for what the iPad Pro has to offer and in my opinion, outweighs any new features (likely marginal) that a new release would include.
     
  15. sracer macrumors G3

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    #15
    Good advice given already in this thread.

    I recommend waiting... but with strong parameters otherwise you'll be in the endless cycle of waiting.

    If you have the opportunity to buy a new 2018 iPad Pro @ $200 off, then I'd recommend buying THAT. I'm still predicting that there will be a minor spec bump in Oct/Nov to the current Pros... by minor, I mean storage models less than 1TB receiving 6 GB RAM, with a lesser possibility of a processor bump.

    But if you wait until then and nothing is new or updated, then have a plan of what you'll do because there will then be the drum beats of new models for March 2020. My suggestion would be, if there are no new/updated models in the Fall, then jump on the first sale on current Pros that are $125 or more off.
     
  16. Jedimindtrick macrumors member

    Jedimindtrick

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2017
    #16
    Amazon had the 12.9" 256 on sale for $949, with free financing of $190 for 5 months - which I jumped on.
     
  17. littlepud macrumors 6502

    littlepud

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    #17
    The Air 3 is better value for money than the Pro, IMO.
     
  18. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #18
    Given the rumours, unless you're absolutely desperate no reason not to wait a couple more months and see?
     
  19. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #19
    If you use the speakers, the quad speakers truly are great. That’s one reason I bought the 10.5” Pro.
     
  20. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #20
    Decent deal but in the used market I've found some arguably better deals. But they're used.

    fair enough.
    Already have a 6th gen which is the same processor, correct? It's technically my kids'.
     
  21. rumz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    Location:
    Utah
    #21
    6th gen has the A10, Air 3 has the A12. Not that the A10 is a slouch by any means.
     
  22. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #22
    Wow. Can't imagine faster than this.
     
  23. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #23
    Here’s a little table I created when we were speculating about what iOS 13 would require:

    [​IMG]

    IMO, even for surfing you can notice a speed difference between the A10X iPad Pros and the slower iPads, but anything with A8X and above is acceptable. I have both the A10X iPad Pro 10.5” and the A8X iPad Air 2, along with an A10 iPhone 7 Plus, and A9 iPhone SE and iPhone 6s. I don’t have an A12 iPad but we have an A12 XR and while it isn’t a great comparison since it’s not an iPad, overall it doesn’t feel noticeably speedier than my iPad Pro 10.5.

    OTOH, A12X in the 3rd generation iPad Pros is blistering fast, and at least if you’re comparing side-by-side against the A10X iPad Pro 10.5”, I can notice that it is indeed faster even for surfing. However, in reality for surfing, right now A12X is probably overkill.

    IOW, I think of three major classes of speed when it comes to iPads compatible with iPadOS 13:

    Class 1 (Good): A8X, A9, A9X, A10
    Class 2 (Excellent): A10X, A11, A12
    Class 3 (Outstanding): A12X
     
  24. rui no onna macrumors 604

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #24
    I'd actually insert another class there:

    Class 1 (Good): A8X
    Class 2 (Better): A9, A10
    Class 3 (Excellent): A10X, A11, A12
    Class 4 (Outstanding): A12X

    I know A9 scores the same as A8X in Geekbench 4 Multi-Core but it's noticeably faster in a number of tasks. Could be due to a number of things: faster single-core, LPDDR4, faster storage.
     
  25. EugW, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019

    EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #25
    Yeah, I think that’s reasonable. A8X does slow down from time to time, and I did just call it “acceptable” earlier in the post. A10 is sometimes noticeably faster. OTOH, I’m not quite as convinced about A9. While you’re not wrong, I’d say A9 maybe is closer to A8X than it is A10. Thus, perhaps I’d rearrange it slightly, like this:

    Class 1 (Good): A8X, A9
    Class 2 (Better): A10
    Class 3 (Excellent): A10X, A11, A12
    Class 4 (Outstanding): A12X

    But I have no big qualms with your classification either.

    In any case, my preferred performance cutoff in an iPad is A10X in 2019, but I think A10 is OK too. Interestingly, I have no major issue with the performance of my 2017 Core m3 MacBook for surfing and business use, and it falls in between A10 and A10X for its multi-core scores, at around 7000. OTOH, I found the 2015 Core m3 MacBook noticeably slower, sometimes annoyingly so, and that MacBook scores closer to A9, at around 4500-4900 or so.
     

Share This Page

109 August 4, 2019