Does it matter if I put my MBP to sleep and then I use it right away again.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Dec 20, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

If I put my MBP to sleep (by closing the display) and then decide to use it right away (in a minute or less), are there any risks to the hard drive involved or any sort of issue?

Thanks.

2. miata macrumors 6502

Do it all the time. Close laptop, walk down hall, open in meeting room. Almost always less than a minute.

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

I mean restarting and turning a computer off and on is probably much more "damaging" than closing the lid and reopening it to wake it from sleep.

I am going to say this is perfectly fine to do. It is what the idea of putting your computer to sleep is all about. When you put your MBP to sleep, everything that was in memory stays in memory, so when OS X wakes from sleep, there isn't a lot that is done that would damage your HDD. Nothing is really reloaded and the HDD doesn't spin any differently than it normally would.

But then again, I am not a hardware person =p

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out when you put it to sleep it is the same as turning it off in terms of powering it up. The only power still flowing is what it takes to keep the ram from losing its memory. Other wise everything else is powered down.

5. puttputt macrumors regular