Does iTunes backup retain your 'folders' structure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Bronx Bull, Sep 17, 2012.

1. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

Does iTunes backup retain your 'folders' structure?

I've restored from backup maybe 2-3 times with my iPhone 4, and each time, it simply throws all of the apps onto the home screen spread across 4-5 pages, as opposed to in the tidy folders I had them in originally - and even some of my apps were missing and had to be redownloaded. May not seem like much work, but it's a pain getting them back to the way I had them!

Anyone know if this is fixed?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Good question... I found the same thing when I backed up locally to iTunes. Since backing up with iCloud instead I have found that doing it that way does retain the folder structure exactly as it was.

3. The Bronx Bull thread starter macrumors member

Noted. However, I don't think I can back up to iCloud since my backup is well over the 5GB alottment (mainly due to pictures I believe).

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yeah pics are the killer... when my backup approaches 5GB i download them to iPhoto and clear them off the phone. You have 2 options, do like that or just choose not to backup your camera roll... if you regularly download them they don't need to be backed up anyway... FWIW, iCloud backup works VERY well.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Did you ever backup the iPhone on that particular computer before?? During any restore I have ever done it remembers the order of the apps, folders etc.
    The only time it didn't was when I synced to a new computer. Not sure what your issue is. Any more info?