does leaving on your laptop most of the time gather more dust than shutting on & off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I was reading a thread about dust on the fans, it seems difficult to clean out & the only way is to take the laptop apart.

do the fans gather more dust while spinning with the laptop on? & if so, will the fans gather less dust or at a slower rate if the laptop is shut down after use each day as opposed to just leaving it on all the time?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's actually pretty easy to clean fans.
    Just unscrew the bottom cover (you need a philips 00)

3. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I would say keeping your work area clean is the easiest way to make sure as little dust as possible gets lodged in the fans....

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Leaving them spinning will suck up dust when it draws in air, so yes.

Leaving it on all the time will mean more dust inside. Hence why I turn this baby off, not like my old Packard Bell, used to stay on 24/7. Still going strong with my parents though, and its approaching 4 years old.

If you pick up your laptop, and blow as hard as you can into the intake fans, it will blow dust out of the outtake fan. This helps the life of it.

5. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

but on a MBP... where is the intake fan? I know that the fan is around the hinges.. but that's all I know.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Is it on the bottom? It tends to be on most laptops.