Does Limera1n allow you to restore to stock 4.1 via iTunes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WeegieMac, Oct 11, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

So let's say I get fed up with the jailbreak scene, and decide I want to return to 4.1 stock.

Is it as simple as connecting my iPhone to iTunes, clicking Restore, and sitting back? I've read of some people getting "Cannot Connect To Update Server" error messages and being stuck in DFU mode with 3014 errors, etc.

Has anyone tried to restore back to stock 4.1 from Limera1n 4.1 jailbroken state on an iPhone 4?

Cheers.

2. dilgit macrumors regular

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It's supposed to be that easy, yes.

Some people have had a few problems, but nothing so far that doesn't have a solution.

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

just restored mine today to factory 4.1

got a error 4001 i think
    it was because i edited the host file previously
    i just re edited it and it went through ok

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

So, if all I've done is use Cydia to install some apps like WiFi Sync, Winterboard, and change the O2 carrier logo, it should restore fine?

I've not made made any file changes via SSH or anything, although I have installed OpenSSH onto the phone via Cydia.

6. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

I'm no programmer, but it does have an uninstall right in the app. The previous version (blackra1n) from GeoHot was able to fully restore via iTunes without any issues, so I believe this is the same. I ran the jailbreak last night and it worked just fine. NOTE that with so many people doing it right now, the Cydia servers have been very slow. This may cause you to think it won't install, just keep trying. Also, when I first ran it, the limera1n icon was white, after a couple of reboots it had the rain drop icon and all has been well since. I have not had any issues with the phone and have installed several apps and synced to iTunes. Good luck and enjoy!

7. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I thought the unistall just got rid of Limerain, not the jailbreak. I thought cydia would still be there. I think it gets rid of the icon.

I jailbroke, and then restored. I had the 1004 error. I had to do some digging. But it was the simple edit your host file. Next restore went smooth.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As with any "well tested" Jailbreak, if you don't want it anymore, just connect to itunes and do a regular restore, it will be gone (if you want it 100% gone you need to set it up as new device and not restore from backup, since this will restore logs files and other items store on the user section of the file system)

9. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

So what would you have done to edit the host file?

Does installing apps from Cydia edit it?

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Editing host files is done on your computer not your phone. Be sure to remove wi-fi sync before you try because that will cause problems.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As TMar said, the host file is in your Computer not your phone, and if you want to get rid of your JB you don't need to mess up with the host file or do anything else but let iTunes do its things.

You want to rad this thread, with some info about Jailbreaking

Jailbreaking FAQ and commonly use terminology, + Guides

12. Cap41 macrumors 6502

This is not entirely true. With Limera1n many have had issues restoring. Many have got the error 1004. I tried restore 4 times. It was not until the host edit. that i was able to restore properly.

So the fact is a comment like "as with all jailbreaks" is incorrect.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I stand correctly, I haven't use Limera1n and I am not surprise that is messing something up that iTunes cannot restore. I will avoid answering anything limera1n realated i guess. thanks for the tip! ;)

I'll change my post to "any Tested Jailbreak"

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

1004? Was it stuck in recovery and couldn't you just use recboot or tiny to kick it out?

15. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Cheers for the info everyone, it's appreciated.

Basically, I'm not overly impressed with Jailbreaking and want to go back to stock 4.1 and set up as a new phone.

What I'll do, from what I've read here, is go into Cydia and modify/delete the apps I installed. Hopefully this will reverse any changes to the host file?

Now, here is a question. I jailbroke on XP within Boot Camp with iTunes 10 installed. So I assume the host file is on the Windows partition?

Does this mean I need to restore on iTunes through Windows, or can I do it on iTunes on OS X?

16. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Anyone have a link on what to do to "fix" the host file on the computer to allow the restore again. I have run into the 1004 and 3004 errors at restore after Linera1n and would like to know the host editing process...thanks!

17. az988 macrumors member

If you go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ and open 'hosts' in notepad, just comment or remove the lines that you added

18. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

The host file is changed by Tiny umbrella. It took me a few hours last night to figure this out. TU changes the host so that iTunes contacts cydia and not apple. Allowing us to keep our current baseband and ability to unlock in the future. The downside is TU does not change your host file back when its done.

19. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

This makes sense because I had used TU before I did the JB and Cydia servers had limited accessibility yesterday/last night.

Anyone now what info in the hosts file to change from "what" to "what" to contact Apple servers again instead of Cydia?

(Do you just remove the line, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" ?

UPDATE: Yes, that worked. Removed the above line from the "hosts" file and "Restore" now works fine again.