Does my fiance need to be there if I port her # to my plan from VZW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invisible777, Jun 23, 2010.

1. invisible777 macrumors member

So, Best Buy Mobile f***ked me by promising a launch day iPhone. I'm now mid/end July if I stick with them. This phone was for my fiance, who I am adding to my plan. I got my own iPhone 4 in the mail from Apple today.

Here's my question.

Can I go to an Apple store on my own tomorrow WITHOUT my fiance and have her Verizon phone # ported? I run my own company so I can pretty much do whatever I want whenever I want, she works at a hospital and cannot do anything until 5PM.

I'm guessing she needs to be there?

Thanks.

2. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Porting is the least of your problems, you need to get Apple to sell you two iPhones with only one person present.

They may allow you to start the port if you can supply the account information from Verizon, name on the account, and any PIN. Please note that you can port later as once the port starts in the Apple store her phone will at some point will be unable to make calls and when the port finished she will not be able to receive calls on her Verizon phone.

Just wait on the Port, you have 30 days and you can do it with a simple call or via the web. Did you check and see if her number was valid to port?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

Dave

4. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    You just need the VZW account # and the phone number you're porting. She doesn't have to be there.

5. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

I already have my iPhone 4, so I only need 1.

6. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

I was told Tuesday night at an Apple Store (there for an unrelated issue with my MBP) that I could not show up with all of my wife's T-Mobile account information and transfer her number to a second line on my AT&T account without her present. Your mileage may vary.

7. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I was told today that I cannot show up with my girlfriend's Verizon info/account number and move my line to a brand new AT&T plan without her being there. I've also read on this forum all they ask you for is the account number and they will do it. I'm still going to wait in line for the 7am opening and try my luck. Maybe they will have some sympathy if they find out I'm not the account holder.

8. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

WHOA! So does this mean if they do not let me transfer my number without my girlfriend tonight, I can still buy an iPhone/set up a new AT&T contract with a new number, and then go back and transfer my current Verizon number within the 30 days? This could be a perfect Plan B!

9. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Yeah you can do that no problem. I've ported in numbers to replace existing ones on AT&T.

10. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Could you guys elaborate?

Can i add a line in my name tomorrow, buy an iPhone for it, and then change that line to my fiance's info, including porting her VZW number all at a later time?

11. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Just called ATT... they claimed

- I can open a second account in my name tomorrow at an Apple store, and Apple will activate the phone with a random phone #

- I can then call ATT customer service to merge the 2 individual accounts into a family plan.

- I can then port in my fiance's VZW# to replace the random phone # given during the Apple store activation.

Based on your experiences, does this seem accurate? I feel like the ATT reps all say different things...