does my phone have to be flawless when taking it in and adding applecare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weeble8604, Oct 18, 2012.

1. weeble8604 macrumors newbie

i plan on taking my iphone 5 into the apple store this weekend and adding applecare+ before its too late (10/21). ive been rocking it naked and only have one minor drop. nothing bad at all just a small nick on the side of the phone towards the bottom. will this prevent me from being able to add the insurance? ive heard they inspect the phone beforehand and i dont want them to freak out over this small nick and not let me add applecare.

2. Ran7 macrumors regular

In my experience no. And are you sure it wasn't that way out of the box? some looked like they had been dropped out of the box.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, they will happily sell you AC. The damage is of a minor and cosmetic nature and will not effect the purchase of AC at all.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I think you'll be fine. Who's to say the phone didn't have that nick coming right out of the box? It may be immoral, but I doubt they'll even waste a lot of time inspecting it.

5. weeble8604 thread starter macrumors newbie

naw im pretty sure it was me. but i guess if things go bad i'll use that as my excuse....

"That nick was on the phone when i received my package in the mail sir..."

:D

6. pugnut macrumors 6502a

You are not required to go in the store at all. You can buy online or via the Apple Store App.

7. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Be sure to schedule a Genius Appointment before hand. Some stores will not let you get AppleCare+ without an appointment.

When I brought my iPhone 5 in, the AppleGuy didn't really look at the cosmetic condition of the phone or the screen. He just shined the light on what I assume are the water detection tabs. It took 3 seconds.

They will then grab your serial number and register it quick through their handheld system. They will then hand you an AppleCare+ pamphlet and you're out the door..

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

9. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Apple Care is pointless.

A replacement phone from Apple if you utterly destroy yours costs you $229.

Apple care costs you $149. You save $80 if you believe you're going to break it once. If you are a clumsy buffoon then yes, saving $310 by buying Apple care for 2x accidents is the only time it's worth it.

10. weeble8604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya but from wut I heard that original warranty that comes with apple is only for 1year. AppleCare+ extends it an extra year.

11. AJAAY macrumors regular

I was able to purchase AC+ over the phone, and I live about 12 miles from an Apple store.

First time I called, rep told me to go to the store. 2nd time I called, rep did it over the phone. It's a matter of getting the right rep.

12. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Tried to purchase from the apple store app and it says that AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your phone? Also says its only $99. This is in Canada btw

13. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Warranty is irrelevant, Apple replaces all iPhones broken damaged or that are not fixable for a flat $229. Whether its 1 month old or 3 years old.

14. weeble8604 thread starter macrumors newbie

What? No ******? This is news to me.... I figured after a year they wouldn't fix it and id be stuck having to buy a new one. This is interesting...

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

its a pretty good business, they figure you have a faulty battery, put one in that costs about $30 maybe and charge you $230, they make $200.

16. katai macrumors regular

I got applecare+ yesterday. The girl that checked me in for appointment added it for me bc Genius Bar was busy. I just pulled out my phone on the table and she entered phone serial and I paid.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

AppleCare+ requires you to go into the store.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

On my phone they made me take it out of the case and pulled out the SIM to make sure the water sensor wasn't activated. On my wife's phone they made me take it out of the case and just gave it a quick look at the front and back.

----------

Nope. It covers a number of things.

If your dollar amounts are US they are wrong. I can't match them up to any non-US currency I'm familiar with.

19. Hpye macrumors 6502

Your math is off. Apple care cost you less. If you break once it will cost you149, twice 198

As oppose to 229 for only once

I don't know what you are talking about

20. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I added AppleCare+ to my phone on Monday. I just went in and handed it to the guy, he glanced at it and took some numbers off of it, I guess the serial number, and that was it. I asked if he wanted me to take the snap on case off but he said it wasn't necessary. So that was it, pretty painless.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

As long as the phone works, and none of the outside water damage indicators are tripped, they'll sell you AC+, they only look at that, when I bought AC+

22. Matt336 macrumors newbie

So I have to travel 10+ hours to the nearest Apple store to get AC+? Lame.:mad:

23. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No, it doesn't. I called 1-800-MY-IPHONE and purchased it right over the phone. Got a confirmation email the next day.

From an Apple email -

"After that date, if you would still like to purchase AppleCare+ within the first thirty days of receiving your iPhone, you can call AppleCare at 800-MY-IPHONE or visit an Apple Retail Store."

24. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No, they're spot on. I took my iPhone 5 to be replaced under warranty due to a screen defect and the paperwork said it would've cost me $229 if I was out of warranty.

25. iosuser macrumors 6502a

It's not pointless, because it adds a second year of warranty. I just bought a used 4S off Craigslist with AC+. It was in very good shape, but the silent switch wasn't smooth so I took it to the Apple store. They exchanged it on the spot. The original warranty had already run out. I still have the two accidental replacements on it. If anything it adds a lot of resale value.

I can probably sell this phone on Ebay as new or refurbished (looks and feels good as new to me) and double what I paid for it now ;)