Does new iMac 2012 21.5 turn off its fan entirely at idle?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xomos, Aug 4, 2013.

1. xomos macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!
    Does new imac 2012 21.5 turn off its fan entirely at idlle?
    regards

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Mine only kicks in when it's doing something intensive. Doesn't come on when just web browsing etc (well not that I can hear).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the fan is always on, spinning at a minimum of around 1200rpm. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

4. xomos thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping that at least at idle is turn off
    thanks !

5. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The 2012 21.5" iMac is incredibly quiet even under decent load. Under light load or idle I can't hear it unless I put my ear right up to it. And I have pretty darn good ears, I hear stuff no one else does. Crappy eyes but great ears.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you want it off? It's important for cooling, and isn't noisy at minimum speed.

7. xomos thread starter macrumors newbie

I always wanted to have silent pc, this is the reason why I want imac instead macbook pro.
    I have chance working on [pentium dual core 1.8GHz (22nm)] and is extremely cool and quiet, as supposed to sony voio Fw [dual core2 2.5GHz (45nm)].