Does one have to use MyWi? Isn't there a way to enable free tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Johnny Steps, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I've noticed that's one advantage a rooted android phone will have and it's that most of the apps on the "open" side of the OS can be downloaded free...

So yeah.. is there a way or no? I have a Sprint 4S

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try TetherMe.
    Its only $5 if you cant afford the $20 that MyWi charges. I would hope anyone with an iphone 4S can swing a $5 bill.

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I know.. it's just I don't understand why when I had a Evo 4G, it was free and here they're charging?

6. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Save your $5 and go back to Android, problem solved, right?

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

TetherMe here as well.

I just use the native tethering. Screw MyWi. It does have a few neat features, but I barely used it when I had it a long time ago.

8. ssdaytona macrumors member

what about the comcenter hack? I used that originally, but does it still work?

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

maybe we should start a collection? ... anybody got 2 cents to spare to help Johnny get TetherMe?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because its not an Evo4G and Devs that put plenty of time and efford to provide that functionality to you should be rewarded if they choose to. So iOS developers keep coming out with great cydia packages like that.
    You dont like to work for free right?
    Why do you think you should be entitled to someones work for free because you were able to get something for free before on your android everything should be free? Including appstore apps, music, ringtones, videos etc....
    I dont understand your logic of entitlement.

11. quaxon macrumors member

12. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone used any of these tethering apps and has AT&T or whichever carrier found out? :rolleyes:

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

How would they know?

You'll raise a red flag if you DL too much, even if you're on an unlimited grandfathered plan.

14. Kayan macrumors 6502

Yes there is a free option to TetherMe, though that is my favorite, and it is the commhack. You'll have to search for it, but it requires some technical know-how, but in the end, it can accomplish the basic functionality of TetherMe, although TetherMe can also do things like personal hotspot, so stop buying $600+ phones just to complain about spending $5 on a freaking sweet tweak.

15. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Ah, just wondering I guess. I don't intend in downloading anything while on MyWi or whichever tethering app. It's just those in case of an emergency situation. Only web browsing. I wonder if pandora is OK. :)

16. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Completely unrelated despite what you seem to be assuming. That's jut one big difference between the Android world and the iOS world. It's why devs tend to develop more for iOS -- it's where the revenue is at.

18. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

I have mywi and I find it convienient for the very few cases that required me to tether to my iPad/Macbook Air.

If money is your concern, you should get TetherMe and it is much cheaper but also contains less features.