Does Pence have to keep Trumps cabinet picks.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 5, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When Ford took over for Nixon was he allowed to pick his cabinet or did he have to keep Nixon's guys on.

I was hoping this would not come up for at least 6 months but now I think it might happen much sooner. So can Pence pick his own guys?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Pence can pick his own guys by way of firing the old ones and appointing new ones subject to Senate approval.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And considering most of Trump's appointments have not even been picked yet Pence will get a fairly empty slate to work with.

4. zin macrumors 6502

It's not going to happen. Trump is in it for the full four years.

Eight if the Democrats continue doing what they're doing now.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You can't run the country in the nut house. He might still think he is president but a few most unsubstantiated Twitter outbursts and the GOP will pull his membership card.

6. Mac 128, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Pence? You mean Ryan.

If this goes down like Nixon Admin., first Agnew goes, then Nixon. If Nixon had not had a chance to appoint and get Ford confirmed (it took almost 3 months) before he resigned, the President would have been Carl Albert.

By the way, the 25th amendment provides for the VP and majority of cabinet, or other legally appointed congressional body, to declare the President disabled.

However, any president who assumed power as a successor to Trump in this manner, would likely make every effort to appear to follow through on Trump's vision to avoid alienating a potent voter base with the appearance of a readily embraced coup conspiracy.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I just wanna know if we can have Mad Dog running things instead.

Mattis has probably read more books about international relations than everyone higher in the chain of command put together.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You have to wonder what he thinks of Trumps antics. Would he bail right now or ride it out until trump is out.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump is definitely in for the next 8, Pence has a good chance after that so we will have to wait and see.

Glad to see you are excited about the 2024 election already though.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I believe you're making a mistake by assuming that the craziness can't possibly continue. It's a dangerous assumption.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Them ruskies sure have a lot of damaging info on that dude if hes gonna serve 2 terms.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

So true. I'm not sure he will run in four years but he will be in until at least then.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. Only six weeks in and you are making that claim? With all the lies and craziness? It's way way way premature to be making those predictions.

14. Arran, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'm not sure Pence will be sticking around if it turns out the Russians really did meddle in the election. All Trump's fervent denials are achieving, right now, is making the Russian story seem increasingly plausible.

So I guess we'll have an election redo, or something? Christ knows. Uncharted waters.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Let's say we find that smoking gun that proves trump and the Russians colluded together. Could we have a new election and would Hillary bother to challenge it or not bother.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No new elections. It would go down by the succession order.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

What's the closest we have come to a fraud election in the past. Or is this truly uncharted waters and does the constitution even address something like this.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Constitution is pretty clear on when elections are held. I honestly think that there is no way that another election is held before 2020.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Even national emergency? (Not saying this is one...yet. Just wondering.) :)

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

As nasty as Pence is, if I were in his shoes, the first order of business would be to steam clean whatever Donald touched in the Executive Residence. Not to much for Mike, but so his wife doesn't catch anything.

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

There would be no election re-do. If Trump and Pence were both forced to resign or impeached Paul Ryan would be our President and he would choose a new VP that would be confirmed by Congress. It's all covered by the Constitution.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

That would be a horror show. Not because of Ryan, but he's like those cheesy 80s power workout shows that uses to be on the telly in those days. So much spandex. So much horror.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I find it rather strange that our elections are so set in stone and that we are basically all hostage to the calendar no matter what.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wake me up when Trump makes it through the day without scandal.

25. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I hate to interject on this liberal wet dream, but come back to reality, you lost the election.

[​IMG]