Does preorder hold your upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackjackmark, Sep 14, 2013.

1. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

I want a 5s and want it as soon as possible. So I'm thinking of getting up at 3 AM CDT to order when it goes on sale Friday. However, I thought about trying my luck at walking into a store on Friday and potentially finding one. I know that's a longshot, but if I have already pre-ordered one, will my upgrade already have been used due to the preorder? Or will I be able to upgrade in store, then come home and cancel my preorder.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I suggest calling your carrier and asking them just to be sure. If you order online you will have your phone within the week, granted you got your order in on time.

3. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I was told by Apple that they can't guarantee the upgrade will be available when you try to buy in the store if you already purchased online.

4. skyking517 macrumors regular

It 100% will take your upgrade eligibility away. Your best off at trying your luck at Apple or at your carriers corporate location.

5. blackjackmark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. I guess that makes sense, but I was hopeful that maybe the upgrade was not used until the activation occurred.

So now my dilemma is this: I went to Target and reserved my desired configuration, and am second on their list. So I will have first dibs on the second iPhone they receive, which may or may not be one that I want. They may be heavy in getting the 16 GB versions, but I'm looking for a 32 this time.

I would think that each Target will receive at least a handful of phones on release day, but who knows for sure.. I guess I can call back later this week to see if they know how many they were allocated. Heck, they would have to have received them by Thursday night in order to distribute by Friday morning ( assuming they get any for release day!). :confused::eek:

6. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

see if they offer in store pick up once sales go online on friday... they may offer in store pick up on the same day.. or next day. I have not seen any comment. But any item in the online store that they have in stock at a store is available for pick up on the same day.. So assuming since they will have stock on Friday then i see no reason why in store pick up would not be available since they really want to get us in the stores this time around.. Least this will be my first choice if it is available..

On second thought this might not be the case.. just trying with the 5c and it offers delivery on the 20th. But in store pick up is not an option... oh well..

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Target did preorders for the 5S? :confused:
    I think someone is pulling your chain...

8. blackjackmark thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have a printout, FWIW, of my reservation for an AT&T 32GB Gray iPhone 5s from the Target Mobile kiosk within my Target store. AND I was only the 2nd one they have taken, so it seems to be a pretty closely guarded secret. So they're definitely taking preorders. What remains to be seen is how many devices they actually get on release day. I would think Apple would want to keep them happy and give them a handful, but we'll see. The woman at the kiosk said that last year they got quite a few iPhone 5 on release day, but with rumors of shorter supplies Im not holding my breath.

Got the tip from this thread, so I'm not the only one hoodwinked if it turns out to be too good to be true!

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nice, but I can see Target losing the iPhones after this.

If you have one reserved for friday I would just go and get it on friday if you are 100% sure they are going to honor it. Anyways, do the line and just say to them you have one pre-ordered when they open. Take someone w you so you don't lose your place in line if something goes awry.

10. blackjackmark thread starter macrumors 6502

Agree that they're the outlier...but then again I believe Radio Shack did it with the 5c, and then WalMart is discounting both the 5s and 5c right out of the gate.
    I don't have any doubt they'll "honor" it...just whether they will actually receive any for Friday and/or receive a 32GB Slate Gray on AT&T! ;)
    No lines for me...anywhere. No device is worth the hassle for me. If I get a feeling from Target on Thursday that they're actually receiving some on release day I will likely keep the reservation and hope for the best. Otherwise, I'll get up at 3am on Friday and preorder one directly from Apple and wait for it the ship.