Does prostitution truly exist? (legal definition aside)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'd wager a child has a greater chance of seeing nudity/sex on television than ever seeing a prostitute working on a john in real life.

I do see your point, though. I say make it legal, try to regulate it, and move on. Or try and figure out why so many men are willing to pay for something that they can get for free.

2. Squadleader macrumors regular

Probably.."No strings attached"....(Until the health bills start piling up!)

I agree in legalizing and regulate it...but we both know that sub-culture will not submit as 95% of em are on probation and would not pass any type of screening..The "clean" ones already kind self regulate...(healthwise)...Las Vegas in a good example...Prostitution is NOT legal in Las Vegas (city) , but is legal UN-incoporated Clark County...and it is regulated...

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

As a woman who's worked in the sex industry (I was a Dominatrix here in the Columbus area for close to 10 years), there's many reasons why men and women turn to the sex industry.

The most common is, loneliness. From my experience and others I know who range from Dominants to "street walkers", the average John/Jane just wants someone to be with. Many of my clients were successful businesspeople, lawyers, etc, and as shocking as it may seem, many of them wanted to just talk. I know Hollywood and crap like 50 Shades has painted this image of 24/7 sex, humiliation and torture, most people just want intimacy given by a listener.

Another common reason is, they're not receiving something they need at home. Whether it be like in my case, where clients wanted to give up control and be controlled, or someone who just wants the thrill of giving someone money for sex. Some cases it could be a sex addict using sex workers in the way an alcoholic uses alcohol. People are conditioned from childhood that being non-normative makes you less than human, or flat out evil. So when a housewife fantasizes about being tied up and blindfolded, or a husband fantasizes about the same, they're conditioned to keep it inside. Eventually they need an outlet, and that's where sex workers come in. Then they have an outlet.

Oh honey, what you're talking about are addicts selling themselves for money to maintain their addiction. This is a result of America's failed War on Drugs™, instead of punishing people for addiction and pushing them into situations where they're abused and sometimes killed, we need to actually help them. Also, I hate to tell you, those "housewife madams" that pop up in the news, yeah, those are more common than you think.

A large number of sex workers (without hard numbers, I can't justify the quantifier "most"), do it because it's simple, fun and makes good money. Now a days with the easy access to free condoms and things like HIV databases have helped make the industry safe for those who do it for pleasure.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you mean there's no love involved? what an unhappy view of marriage you have :eek:

5. Squadleader macrumors regular

Precisely...These what people see, these are the majority of the complaints...No one cares about the "housewife madams", they stay behind closed doors... As far as helping them...everyone of them that has been released go thru various detox programs...They return to the lifestyle because they know it and its a money maker, then the cycle begins...Dont try to blame my country for their weakness.....

6. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

As gender roll reversal continues, it will be interesting to see if we reach a pont where kept men start expecting to be treated well to 'put out'. In other words is this a characteristic of the disadvantaged gender in relationships who need security? ;)

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, that's what happens when prostitution is ILLEGAL. If it were legal, it could be a normal, above-board job like any other. Legal protection, join a union, earn pay, etc. The fact that it's illegal is what forces women into that situation.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

But then I could not offer Exhibit C!! :eek:

Besides that, I never heard of a "love prostitute".
    Hugs for $5? Hugs and Kisses for $15?

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I would surmise if prostitution was legal and regulated, the druggies would not be able to get their permit, and other prostitutes would snitch on them becuase.
    1. Bad for business (negative image)
    2. Remove competition.

Because prostitution is illegal in most of US, most are scared to call out bad ones becuase they will become targets.

At one time Stock Car racing was seen as an activity of criminals, and where always suspect and laws made. Now it is was organized and cleaned up and makes billions yearly, and safer streets.
    It could have similar effect for prostitution, no more tricks under your window.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

as I said, you seem to have a rather unhappy view about love and relationships between people who are in love......sadly this seems to lead you to the idea that sex only happens as a result of some sort financial payment......which makes me think you're certainly missing something :p

11. Mord, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

Mord macrumors G4

Mord

s/simple/sexist

Best post I've read here in a long while, that's pretty much the situation my partner was in before we got together and I explored my more dominant predilections and it often saddens me to think of others in similar situations. It's a shame we seem to be wired such that submissives vastly outnumber dominants.

Spot on.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

How about a cuddle?

13. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Oh, WOW!
    Snuggles for sale!

should have discount on the double-snuggle, though. 10% less?

I wonder if they do His n Her Snuggles....

----------

I know what you are saying, but do you disagree with me some marry more for money, if not only for the money?

Again, I was just keeping the examples simple.

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Looks like some are still looking for that moral compass that has been lost.

15. mscriv, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The question you pose and hence the following discussion is rooted firmly in one's worldview regarding truth and morality. Is sex a moral issue or simply a biological drive? Are there absolute "right and wrongs" related to sex?

Depending on where one falls in their belief system regarding these larger questions is going to be a likely indicator as to what they will believe about prostitution.

The fact that an action or behavior is "prevalent" doesn't have any bearing on the potential moral of legal standings related to that issue.

Huh? I think I get the point you are making, but that is a drastic oversimplification and quite an assumption regarding the motives of each party in the relationship.

Physical intimacy should never be used as a reward or punishement in a relationship. If you are speaking of "reward" in terms of being a "benefit of" then I understand, but specifically manipulating intimacy in a relationship for personal reasons is unhealthy.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I think you overly simplified your examples and overly expanded the definition of prostitution to fit your examples, which are all missing the quid pro quo agreement of payment for sex that defines prostitution.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Why?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You mean birthday sex is a no-no?

19. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

What I'm referring to is partners that use physical intimacy as a way to control and manipulate. Physical intimacy should be a regular part of expression and communication in a relationship. Spouses should seek to serve one another through sex by putting the other's needs above their own. Your body is a gift to your spouse and should be treated as such. When one partner starts to withhold physical intimacy to get their way in other areas of the relationship then they are doing damage and destroying the unity of the relationship.

Now, can sex be called a "reward" in a fun way within the context of a healthy relationship? Sure, which is what skunk is referring to in mentioning "birthday sex". This is not manipulation as one spouse is not only providing sex with self serving motives as a way to condition their partner's behavior.

I hope that clears things up a bit, if you have other questions then let me know.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    So in reality sex is always a reward, or 'gift' in your choice of terminology (although if I was feeling pedantic I'd argue that your choice of word gift is usually wrong as intimacy is usually is a reward for good behaviour).

Withholding all kinds of intimacy is normal and happens on both a conscious and subconscious level for everyone for all sorts of reasons. There's no right or wrong to it, it's just the way people interact naturally.

I think it's dangerous to tell people what's right or wrong within their relationships. What gives anyone the authority to ascribe normative behaviour in the bedroom?

21. PracticalMac, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Hummm, I do not think so.
    While money is common, and commonly associated with prostitution, it is not exclusive. Sex for gifts, food, booz, drugs, shelter, transportation, and a lot of other services/objects exists.

In fact, I believe a common excuse by those who exchange gifts for sex say it is not prostitution, and may be legally harder to prosecute those who do it as a prostitute.

The reason why I quoted dictionary references is becuase I am not the one "over simplifying" the definition, society is.

Here is another
    You put thought into your answers, so a question for you:
    How would you state the question? (I suspect you will include Love in it, something good for new topic?)

22. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am not trying to state "ones worldview", I am posing a logical question on prostitution.

Asking about sex is not what needs considering, but
    is prostitution a moral issue or simply a biological drive?

I think we all agree the range people marry for, from purely love, to political position, to purely for money, with a lot of in-between.

In fact, it is possible that marrying mainly for love is a rather recent and unique phenomenon as individual ability to earn adequate amount of money in many countries allow for more options, but I digress.

more to ponder...

23. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Where I am brothels and prostitution are legal. There are government regulations regarding health and safety of the employees and taxes are paid like any other business.

Unlike in other places that have only legalised prostitution in brothels we have also legalised street prostitution and we even have publicly traded brothels on our stock exchange :D

24. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Check out "Ape and Essence" by Aldous Huxley.