Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
On OS X mail apps, does the removal of a POP account in email client such as Mac Mail also mean the deletion of emails?

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
But, I'm talking about JUST removing the POP settings for example:
jjones@mail.com
mail.mailserver.com
mail.mailserver.com ...etc

Does this also remove the actual email messages from the email application?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
yes, the mails are probably still on the mail server (if they support POP and IMAP then change to IMAP when possible) before attempting, do a back up (by moving them to the Mac folder in the right side bar)

Reactions: komatsu

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
In Mac Mail, if you move your email to folders that are under "On My Mac" then you can safely remove the account and the emails will remain in Mail.

As has been said, what email remains on your server depends on what settings were in force when you were checking email.

Your "Sent" mail is probably only on your computer and not the server.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you simply disable the account - (Mail > Preferences > Accounts: Enable Account) you should be OK - it'll take the account offline but the mail archive remains. The danger is if you delete the actual mailbox(es) or remove the account from the account list.

But then, you do have a Time Machine backup, right? ;)

Reactions: komatsu

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
If you simply disable the account - (Mail > Preferences > Accounts: Enable Account) you should be OK - it'll take the account offline but the mail archive remains. The danger is if you delete the actual mailbox(es) or remove the account from the account list.
;)

Great...that is the kind of setting I was looking for. Thanks AF and to all other posters on this thread.
Your input was appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.