Does retina MBP with 3.5mm instill feelings of courageous betrayal ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Oct 29, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Seems silly to push forward wireless, move to one port type, and also include a headphone jack - something that's been deemed ancient technology just the month before that.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Different tools have different uses.

NOTE: I don't care about the headphone jack, but I do think the new rMBP is too expensive for what it offers.

3. itsray macrumors 6502

this ^. you use a computer while sitting down stationary. It makes sense to plug in a set of headphones, especially if you do any type of music work. while for a cell phone thats in your pocket usually and you're moving and bluetooth can be more useful.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

None at all for me as I have not used the jack on either for years.

5. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I agree and I also thought about it... First, they claim that the headphone jack is old technology and must not be used anymore and then they keep the same jack on the new MBP. The problem is that Apple can easily get away with this inconsistency, but it also means that the things they tell us are not always true.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No, it doesn't.

How is this an iPhone thread?

7. Dieego macrumors member

Not just because of the 3.5mm but the fact we can't even connect our iPhones to it without a dongle.

It's just unreal.

8. timeconsumer, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I think they probably would've included it on the iPhone 7/7+, they just ran out of room. Whereas the MacBook Pro has much more room. Either way Apple would still prefer if you picked up a pair of their new Bluetooth headphones with the W1 chip.

9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I shouldn't comment because I have no desire to purchase a Mac book but I do see a problem when you products lack consistency.

I agree that the headphone jack needed to go. What I don't agree with is the use of the lighting port. If the iPhone 7 went with USB-C and the Mac replaced the headphone jack with another USB-C that would have made sense. Now if you buy a decent pair of lightning headphones you're going to need a other adapter. And you need an adapter to connect the iPhone to a Mac. That's what I mean by a lack of consistency.

10. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

The dramatic and hyperbolic titles of these threads... Christ. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. VesselA, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

VesselA macrumors regular

think of this, you buy a new iphone 7 and a new macbook pro, then you want to plug the iphone into the macbook to connect to itunes or charge - oops

Apple should have left 1 full size USB and kept the SD card slot, major nusance, especially at the increased price.

Personally Id rather have a built in SD card reader and USB 3 than an LED touch strip, so I'm pretty happy with the 2015 macbook pro

As apple are switching to USB C Im pretty certain they will switch to USB C next year on the iphone 8 - which'll make lightning a legacy port. Id think twice before buying any expensive headphone with a lightning connection as next year everything will be USC C

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can buy a USB-C lightning cable. I mean, if you even need to plug your phone into your computer to charge. I very rarely plug my phone into my computer, maybe I'm in the minority.

Good thing they still sell the 2015 model!

For the record, I've got a 2015 13" rMBP and I think it's great. The new Macs are too expensive for what they offer, but I don't care that I can't plug my phone into it out of the box.

13. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Does it have a lightening port?

I always wondered about using lightening headphones on a computer or device without a lightening port. Is there an adapter that adapts lightening into 3.5mm?