Does Rush Limbaugh Matter Anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 31, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Interesting piece in the Huffington Post:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b0d8f64e4b0568a880f23cd/amp?297=&__twitter_impression=true

Put another way, if Limbaugh’s role in American conservatism has been to stand athwart history yelling “slut,” then it’s pretty safe to say: mission accomplished. Limbaugh’s brand of boorish, headline-grabbing conservatism has intertwined itself with the right-wing firmament as intricately as trickle-down economics and Vineyard Vines ties.

The question, now that Limbaugh’s schtick is indistinguishable from contemporary conservative punditry, is whether he can survive in a world of his own making.

Honestly I don’t think he matters anymore. Donald Trump has replaced him as the troller-in-chief of the Right and AM talk radio isn’t as powerful anymore now that there’s so many more outlets on the internet/social media. I also think podcasts have started to take the place of talk radio. Another factor is there’s not much Limbaugh can say these days that would shock more than what Trump says. I remember when I used to listen to his show and he’d do the “media tweak of the day” which was basically saying something outlandish on purpose just to get a rise out of the liberal media and then spend next days show playing clips of how the media reported what he said (all the while claiming he hated talking about himself). I can’t remember the last time there was a segment on cable news discussing something he said on his show. I think Trump and to a lesser extent Sean Hannity have made Limbaugh irrelevant.

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

He’s still one of the greatest intellectuals of the 21st century.

3. 0007776 Suspended

I haven't heard much about him recently, so I would imagine that his influence is waning even if it is still strong with his core group of listeners.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I have listen to him on and off for years, I have taken a break over the past few year though.

He used to be a lot funnier, and more entertaining, but in the past few years I think his attitude has changed... Or maybe mine, but I just got tired of listening.

Actually, I pretty much stay away from most things political lately, I just got tired of it. The few times I posted on the political forums on MR is the most I get into political stuff.

I think if Rush is still around when the next democrat president is elected, I think Rush will play a bigger role.

5. Irishman macrumors 68030

Can't tell if serious.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think it's just a typo.

Limbaugh is one of the great thinkers of the 12th century.

7. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Considering he's been turfed off the big stations in virtually every major market, currently broadcasts from stations that are lower in the ratings than foreign-language news, and had to renegotiate his last contract so that he now only gets points from what advertising revenue he brings in (i.e. NO SALARY), I would say, no.

8. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

He’s on the air in literally ever corner of America. We don’t like to think it, but car radio is still a *major* information and entertainment source for America. Right ring radio’s dominance in the airwaves gave us Rush, Hannity, and don’t forget the *Vice President* of the United States.

Of course Rush still matters, for anyone not entirely entombed in social media.

10. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

there's a segment of the population that's easily manipulated... ;)

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's an insult to the 12th century "Medieval Renaissance" and the great thinkers of the Islamic world at the time. Rush is just on another planet. :p

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

12th century BCE maybe. ;) It was a time that featured stuff like the collapse of the late Bronze Age... and the founding of the city of Pyongyang... Rush would have fit right in there somewhere probably.

13. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

Rush Limbaugh on the right and Bill Maher on the Left are both idiots.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Bill Maher is not a leftist version of Limbaugh.

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Do you please provide some links. I have not listened in a while, but interesting if what you say is true. I figured he would be around for a long time.

16. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I'll have to dig it from Twitter. This was a couple of years ago.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I know. They watch MSNBC.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    He’s on the number one station in my area as well as the surrounding markets. You can find him anywhere as you move from market to market driving around.

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’d ask a different question:

Does it matter whether or not Rush Limbaugh matters anymore?

Right or left, there’s always a way to get whatever dose of angry, shrill ranting and fear mongering that one might desire.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Ain't that the truth... or one can opt for an iPod and some other content, like a home-brewed music playlist. His show however was directly responsible for my acquiring an FM transmitter gizmo for a 2nd gen iPod to use in my very old car (it had a radio and a tape cassette player as audio options). On my commutes upstate I used to have assorted pre-sets on the radio so that as the signal from one radio station faded I could punch in a more local one while proceeding north.

Problem was I used to bump into Rush ranting away on some station in Orange County, depending on my flextime departure from the city. I was not a fan. Anyway a third party gizmo vendor and Apple let me create my own radio station for my whole trip north. :D

Since I don't follow Limbaugh I'm always kinda surprised to realize he's still alive when his name comes up in some social media commentary that I encounter.

22. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

His show is one long Safelite commercial with him occasionally making a comment. Can't stand it.

23. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

He is.

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

To be fair, that was the same century when Shyeesripaktli, the Great Cave City of the Sleestaks, was founded. It was a time of enlightenment. It was a time of learning.

Land of the Lost (1974 TV series)