Does satire need to be pointed out that obviously? (Facebook using satire tag)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by simsaladimbamba, Aug 18, 2014.

1. simsaladimbamba

Hello,

I just came upon this news article from the BCC - Facebook tags the Onion 'satire' in news feeds - and was astonished by this.
    I know, satire doesn't translate that well in written words, but if a story is so outrageous, that I have to vent my anger or disbelief,
    I would at least check other sites to confirm or deny that story.

I know, I know, it is I who does that and I cannot deduce that others would too.

But I get this strange feeling, that everything subtle and not so subtle, and many things obvious to many,
    needs to be pointed out nowadays, like those hot coffees or sharp knifes or deadly microwaves.

Where does that come from? Are our brains simple overloaded with all the daily crap we can now receive
    via all the different media we have access to?

And the obligatory quote to have some content, or however that rule is here:

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Take a deep breath. Make sure you're sitting down. Go here:

Literally Unbelievable.

I hope that answers your question.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In the Age of Social Media: Yes, stuff probably does need a "SATIRE" tag. The same way as there ought to be a "PAID CONTENT" tag so people know ahead of time they are clicking on a thinly-veiled advertisement rather than an actual piece of journalism.

A side effect of the always-on-always-conncted-smartphone-selfie-social media universe we've created is that many people simply don't read very well.

We click on headlines promising "One Simple Trick to Explode Belly Fat!" or "Which Law & Order:SUV character should hook up with?" without stopping to question the inherent absurdity of the lede. And we expect people to take the time to realize the Onion story being quoted is satire?

The point of satire is one of subtlety. The premise mustn't be so absurd as to be impossible. It needs to be just possible enough to be believable. Like Joe Biden washing his car in the White House driveway. Not physically, or even legally, impossible. Just unlikely. And funnier still the more you think about it.

4. simsaladimbamba thread starter Guest

simsaladimbamba

I think that is satire itself, in a way. But I guess we all need a good laugh, even if it is at the gullibility of others.

----------

I understand what you are saying. I guess I am gullible in some way too, but that only happened in real life, even if online is part of it now.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

I wish I could remember them all, but there was a period where one of my old school teachers went on a tirade of posting all these anti-Obama rants, and linked to all sorts of stories about all the crazy things he was doing.

The one that sticks in my mind the most was an article about how Obama is spending some huge amount of money building free gas stations for poor people all over the country as part of Obamacare. She just could not believe how he could do such a thing with her money. Even after I pointed out that the article was obvious satire and it was preposterous that anyone would believe it, she continued on..."I don't know, this certainly sounds like the types of things Obama does!"

There were numerous others she posted, and several other people as well. I hated always being the ******* who had to let them know that they were idiots.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sadly with a lot of the things that Republicans say it can be hard to distinguish which are real quotes from them from the onion....

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I wish the "Busch Gardens Unveils New 9,600-Mile-Long Endurance Coaster" was real. :D

8. Meister, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Thank you for this link!! That is really funny! :D

... but after reading through a few pages I have to say that they should mark these at satire.
    If someone doesn't know the Onion is satire then they could mistake a few of these "newsarticles" for real.

For example: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-cable-companies-announce-theyre-just-going,36254/
    In Germany the cable companies do in fact take 18€ a month from everyone, no matter wether they have a TV or not. (http://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rundfunkgebühr#Aktuelles_Modell_seit_2013)

Some of these "satire" articles are not that far of at all.

Another example: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28684353

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

10. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

That's a shame... It's always funny when people fall for satire and get all outraged :D

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  12. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

It boils down to the instant gratification, laziness, and look-at-me attitude that has come from constant connectivity. People don't want to read any entire article, they only want to read the headline (which often is extremely misleading) and then they want to share their thoughts about the headline with as many people as possible.

Instead of making it even easier to be lazy by labeling everything, we just need more people to call out idiots who try to pass satirical articles off as real journalism.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

People are stupid. People believe a lot of ******** posted on Facebook, regardless of whether it is a piss take or just plain nonsense slapped on a JPG. The satire thing will help cut down on a lot of misinformation propagating but isn't enough to do something about the horrible vindictive extremist groups on Facebook such as Britain First who use social media to spread lots of misinformation and hatred.

So yeah, the satire thing is kind of welcome but I doubt it'll solve the problem of nonsense being spread about Facebook.

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Wat is "FaceBook"??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Its a website. This thread is about it. Have a look, could be insightful.

Still looking for your satire tag... can't find it. ;)

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

18. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

I think its a real shame that our news is so predictably CRAZY that these stories from The Onion are considered possible.

We are told dozens of unlikely stories every day, and because reality is so messed up, we allow fiction to be permissibly real.

That is the shame.