Does sexual suppresion cause violence?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 8, 2015.

1. PracticalMac, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, this is a reaching question and not well researched, but some thoughts:

In countries where sex is repressed (spelling corrected) both overtly and covertly there seems to be more violence, especially against women to the point it is acceptable to kill a woman or girl who is seen is as "immoral"
    Middle east, India (Hindu), even Mexico (that is strictly Catholic and has strong "moral" rules).

Conversely:
    In Europe sexual discussion is much more open, activity is accepted (modesty is expected), has a low violence to women.

Japan is conservative, but depictions of and public nudity accepted in bath houses and discussion is had.

Going back in US history there where times when women was persecuted for actions that include being banished. There where violent times, of course the Salem Witch trials believed to be aimed to women who where promiscuous.
    Today in the US it seems there is strong social restrictions on sexual behavior, and violence to women is higher than Europe but not as harsh as in other areas.

Again, this is speculation.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Interesting correlation. I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on this.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Do you mean "suppressed"?

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I believe the word everyone is looking for is "repressed."

Sexual suppression would mean that it didn't happen at all - which is not true anywhere. Repression, on the other hand, is what keeps women in Burkas, gay guys in the closet, and straight single people burning with unfullfilled lusts.

As far as the hypothesis: I think there is probably some validity to it. The more a society seems to be outwardly "straight-laced" - the darker and more shocking the stories of sexual violence and abuse seem to be.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't. But I do like reading my own thoughts :p

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it has to do more with the overall culture than specifically sexual repression.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The magic word is "cause," and I don't think it causes violence.

I'd settle for calling it a correlation, and bet that it's a strong one.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, an error, fixed it. (repressed)

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Don't think so. It's more about the education of those people there.

----------

Culture & the level of stupid within the individuals there

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The thought came to me in a PBS article about an Egyptian person who tried to be a good Muslim, did evertything not to be "tepmted" by women even when fully clothed in burka.
    And surprised his friends by joining Isis.

Well, if the overall all culture is to repress sexuality, is it not the same?

:p

Correlation is strong, but cause is strong too.
    Sex releases tensions, produces happiness, strengthens social bonds between couples and attractions also reduce aggressive tendencies (unless rival in room).

Recent studies show men are less aggressive in presence of potential mate.

----------

These people are well educated, even very well educated, but the culture (not necessary religion or religion alone) instill sexual repression.

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

No sex makes me go something something.

But yes I do agree that sex repression can lead to more violence, we're animals like that.

This said, I say no to censorship.

13. Huntn, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My impression is that violence against women is related to a sexual double standard, where one sex is in control and the other is subservient. This does not suppress or repress the sexual act, it's just controlled more by the sex that's in charge. The argument can also be made that stricter control of morals, means it's easier to offend and bring censure, prosecution, and violence against ones self, or against the subserviant sex with the higher enforced code of conduct and double standards such as woman who commit adultery in strict Middle Eastern Muslim countries.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you might be referring to this New York Times story.

Again: I think there is definitely some validity in your hypothesis. If young Muslim men in Cairo and Amman; in Riyadh and Sa'na spent more of their time hanging out at the malt shop with young women their own age, they'd have a lot less time for Jihad. And I think that if Roman Catholic priests could marry nice ladies they met in the course of their duties; or settle down in wedded bliss with the buff fellow they met at Seminary school - there would be a lot fewer sexual abuse scandals to deal with.

But the hypothesis doesn't explain all violence. There are (I am led to believe) all sorts of sexual opportunities open to young men who live in Compton and other US inner cities. But that doesn't seem to prevent a certain fraction from joining gangs.

Sexual repression is definitely a factor in some violence and other tragedies. But its far from the only thing that causes it.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder what tempted means, court them (with sex being a sin) or throw them down and ravage them against their wills? I'm open to your premise, but I'd argue this individual might have other emotional/mental issues. I've witnessed (through the media about priets) that self sexual repression, self denial can result in out bursts of inappropriate sex, and sometimes by force or coeresion. I don't correlate killing people as an adequate substitute, while acknowleging the premise that rape is about sex and violence.

16. PracticalMac, Mar 9, 2015

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

YES! That is the one, thanks for finding/posting. (was shown on PBS, maybe News Hour?)

You are right in that there is not one answer for all, I was thinking is on large scale, region and nation size.

That said, perhaps it can apply in local size.
    Gangs have their own rules and of course pecking orders. It may be that the leaders control sexual activities, perhaps going so far as using sex as reward for violent activities (still repression for different reasons and release)

Rape is also (mainly?) about Power and Control of another persons body.

It is a fact that repressing sex can cause mental break downs, in the past called hysteria. Freud hit the nail on the head. While there are nuances, the overall effect is about the same.

Put it this way:
    Cant get oxygen, hyperventilate
    Cant get water start to hallucinate
    Cant get food, might start eat body parts, hallucinate, others.
    Cant socialize (In isolation), often go insane.
    Cant sleep one will die (72 hours is the limit)

The above is well established denial of basic animal need causes uncontrollable reaction.

But I have not heard of detailed studies about denied sexual release (including masturbation).
    There is research on benefits of sex to health and well being,
    but no longer therm study of someone whose life was fully documented then was denied any sexual release for months or years that I heard of (maybe it was studied, but hard to find).

But the point is sex is a fundamental animal function, and denial could have adverse problems to the person.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree. Ironic that intelligent animals formed into a society can't find a way to promote healthy sexuality versus using a God standard to make it dirty, promote intellect over animal urges as a form of superiority. But that's all about control, enrichment,and power, a perversion of our nature, promote an impossible standard while cheating in the shadows.

18. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes.
    And one wonders why religion is looking followers in well educated societies?

That video showed something (or read transcript) that is drives the point of "religious leaders" at 5:35 in the video was clip about "Sheikh Muhammad Hussein Yacoub" who said that even to *think* about loving a woman is a sin.
    That any emotional feeling to a woman is a sin.
    In short, women are just factories to produce babies because and do labor one cannot have emotional feelings.

That is not Islam.

Just an FYI, that is the same kind of attitudes in Christian and Jewish priests, but no where in books does it say this. Solomon suggests just the opposite.

So, if you have "leaders" saying sex is evil and deny it, that frustration results in violence?

19. juanm, Mar 9, 2015

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Try to repress any of my natural urges, I'll become moody, yes...

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe most say "screw it" and do, lol with willing partners. :) Marriage is supposed to be the flood gate where you can procreate away. But pleasure, that's sinful. :( For those who try to conform as singles, if not self pleasuring (more sin ;)) it results in tensions which effect individual's outlook resulting in undesirable mood/behavior, and for those those who can't handle it, outbursts of negative actions, which might be in the form of violence.

I decided upon hitting puberty, that the idea of waiting till marriage was a silly idea for multiple reasons as I think of Sienfeld: Master of Your Domain. :) Sure approach relationships responsibly, as long as disease and pregnancy is controlled, recreational sex, why not? My impression is most of those rules had to do with a stable society and (less so recently) second class females, facing a sexual double standard, in the search for security a male could provide, had to be careful who they let into their bed. While the Church who publicly viewed animal urges as base and demeaning, while privately Church hierarchy hypocritically played behind the scenes with their mistresses and same sex buddies/victims. An indictment of the superiority of humans. ;)

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

This did not go too far did it.
    Guess pretty much all agree with hypothesis?

22. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

guaranteed if you gave one of these jihadists a hot girlfriend they would stop caring about radical islamic ideologies real fast

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, nuns and priests are the most violent members of society. :rolleyes:

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't need to remind you of the sexual history of Catholic Priests do I?

25. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That doesn't prove anything other than that priests are human and sometimes do bad things. Pick any social group (teachers, for example) and you'll find examples of sexual misconduct. The number of priests convicted of sexual abuse is a very miniscule percentage of the total. If celibacy was the problem, it would be everywhere and constant, which it is not.