Does Siri and Voice Memo use diff mic than Speakerphone and FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chaseardoin7, Nov 26, 2011.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm having a trouble with my iPhone 4S. I dropped it and had to screen replaced a couple of weeks ago. Everything worked fine after that. As of today I cannot hear myself on speaker phone or face time. Siri and voice memos works fine. Also if I record a video I can only hear myself faintly in the background. Is this one hardware issue with one mic broken or does it seem like a software issue? Gonna try to restore later

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Based on your story of events, I think it's a hardware issue. The mic was probably damaged when it was dropped or during repair.

3. chaseardoin7 thread starter macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What would explain Voice Memos working fine? The playback is just as loud as it would be if being played back from a video. I wouldn't think this is a separate mic.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone has one speaker and one microphone. One of them is damaged.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4 and 4S have two.

Its possible that FaceTime and speaker phone use the secondary microphone on top near the headphone jack. That could be the damaged microphone.

6. dpierre macrumors regular

I'm almost positive the problem is with the noise cancelling mic. That's the one on the top of the phone by the headset jack. If that's broken your speakerphone will not work. I had to get an iPhone 4 replaced for this problem last year.