Does the 2.6 Ghz 15'' Haswell rMBP have enough battery life for an 8 hour flight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Starfyre, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I have a flight that will be approximately 8 hours. I've been seeing a lot of 15'' 2.3 GHz reviews that have decent battery life anywhere between 8 to 9 hours and 2.0 GHz reviews of 10+ hours.

I was thinking about possibly considering the 2.6 GHz for its speed, but will its battery last me at least 8 hours normal use?

2. RngRngBananaRam macrumors newbie

If you turn the brightness down as low as you can comfortably handle it, turn wifi off, and don't play any real-time games, then it'll absolutely last that long.

What're you planning on doing with it during the flight?

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Word, Excel Spreadsheets, Movies. (Blogging if Wifi Available)

4. RngRngBananaRam macrumors newbie

If you're planning on watching movies, it's extremely unlikely that it (or any laptop) would last an eight-hour flight.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I was testing the top 15" with the 2.3GHz at the Apple store. When playing a movie trailer in iTunes it looked like it would make it 4-5 hours, but I didn't test it a lot.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Your flight might have a USB port to plug in a iphone/ipod touch. Use either of those to watch movies or you might as well use the inflight movie selections provided by the airlines. If you get inflight movies that is.

7. glasshead13 macrumors member

honestly if you want something to watch movies on that will last for long flights like that, get an iPad. You can work on your computer, and use the iPad for watching movies. An iPad has no problem lasting 10+ hours, even more if you lower brightness and turn off bluetooth, wifi, etc.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Engadget is quoting 11 hours and 18 minutes for their continuous video playback test on the 13-inch rMBP. So OP, I definitely think so.

I have a 13-hour flight next year. So I was definitely wondering if the battery life would exceed the estimates Apple listed. And it seems like it certainly is. I imagine the 15-inch could definitely get at least 8 or 9 hours.

Using an iPad on a plane is a great idea in theory. I think most of us are going to have a larger SSD on our Mac than we will on our iPad. And it's just easier to download/watch movies on the Mac, IMO. I would only switch to an iPad if my Mac battery had run out during the flight.

9. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

For normal light use I think you're good. I was doing some very light work the other evening at about 30% brightness (light word processing, reading some PDFs, killing some time on forums in between) and extrapolating my battery consumption I might have made it to 11 hours. This is on the 2.3, but at low load the battery life between the three CPUs should be pretty close.

Be aware that watching movies is not part of the low "normal" usage. I think the 4-5 estimate simon48 mentioned is much more realistic in that case (full HD video at a decent brightness).

Or I could be totally wrong apparently! It's hard to predict how the 15" would do compared to this. On one hand using more cores at a lower voltage can be more power efficient, but on the other hand when 1 core needs to run at a higher frequency all 4 cores have to increase clocks together, which could use more power.

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

For my tests, it looked like HD and it was at max brightness.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think it's going to depend on what kind of video you are watching. One would do well to watch movies in iTunes for best battery life, but maybe someone is only using VLC or something.

For the record, these are the settings Engadget was running during their test:

I don't see why the 15-inch would be any different. I would assume at least 9 hours.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple itself rates the 15" as having less run time than the 13" (8 hours vs. 9 hours– both are apparently conservative.)