Does the 2008 earlier edition of Mac Pro support hot-swapping of internal drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hajime, Jun 23, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Sometime I plug and unplug hard drives of my PC while it is on. Will there be a problem to do that on the mac pro? If the computer supports this, do I need an internal drive that is also hot-swappable in order to be safe?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No Mac Pro supports hot-swapping. The XServe supports hot-swapping.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have never heard of a PC that supports hot swapping of hard drives. Servers of coarse do but i have never seen a PC support it.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

So, I better turn off the machine before plugging and unplugging the interface cable of the internal hard drive? I have done that to the PC several times without problem. Don't know how the MacPro, Leopard and windows on bootcamp will handle this.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well its a bad idea without unmounting the drive first. And also you don't so much unplug the cable on the Mac Pro. You more pull the drive out as its on a metal mount which lines the ports up for you.:)

6. osin macrumors 6502

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No they are not- it is not a function of the drive itself but of the supporting interface hardware and OS software. Apple did not choose to support hot swapping of internal (or external if using one of the Sonnet or other port extender kits to tap into the two unused SATA ports on the Mac Pro logic board).

Hot swapping on a Mac Pro can only be done when using a PCIe eSATA card/external drive enclosure combo that specifically supports it.

9. fsron macrumors member

Don’t do it. I mistakenly thought the SATA drives were hot swappable and tried to swap two drives. It corrupted both drives and I needed to reformat both. Luckily both drives were new and had nothing on them of any real importance.

10. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

:eek:

Yikes!

i don't know about you guys, but i'm scared to touch anything inside a computer case with the power cable even connected, let alone with the machine running.....

but maybe i've just seen to many OSHA safety videos.
    :D