Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puppies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Quick question for anyone that uses a 5G iPod to view your calender, to do list, contacts, etc. Does it need to spin up it's drive every time you access that stuff, or does it stay cached in RAM?

I'm ordering either a 2GB Nano, or 30GB "regular" tonight (can't decide which)

One of the uses for this is I'm hoping to sort of replace my broken Palm with my iPod-at least so I can view all my PIM info (since there aren't any good PDAs available).
I'm thinking the 5G iPod's screen would be way better to view my calender, but it would be super annoying (and wear out the battery faster) if it has to spin up whenever I go through my calender.

Any thoughts?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I'm too lazy to double check, but the only time I notice the drive spinning is when I'm trying to load a large calendar (like my Historic Events - which I never really look at anyway), which is why I don't sync the large static calendars anymore (like Historic Events)...

Puppies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Does it just spin up once, and then you can use the PIM apps as much as you want? Or does it have to keep spinning when you switch days, that kind of thing?

Not sure how large my Calendar info is-it's all the data I've been using on my Palm since '99, so fairly large (though probably less than 50 entries all together since most are repeating entries.

Thanks for the response!

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
If I remember right, it spins up to load the calendar, but then you are done. The calendar also ends up running a bit slow.

The 50 repeating entries shouldn't be a problem. This calendar is something closer to 350-400 distinct entries.

What's strange is that if I show 'All' calendars, even though I have a bunch of entries, it isn't nearly as affected as if they were all in the same calendar.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for your help!

Last night I accidently stumbled across a program that lets you export your calendar from Palm Desktop to an iPod, and discovered that even my 3G iPod (with a dead battery) dosen't need to spin up to view my calendar, so this is very promising! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.