Does the added weight on the new iPad stand out to you?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
It is somewhat bothersome but other than that love everything about it. It's probably my only complaint can definitely feel it heavier over iPad 2.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
When I first picked it up, it seemed really heavy. Now it feels normal. I felt the same about the iPad 2. First impression was that it's heavy and then that disappeared quickly.

I do think Apple should have reducing the iPad's weight as a high priority though.

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
My first reaction would be no but I must admit that from time to time while lounging around on the couch in strange positions and holding it up with one hand every now and then I do notice a little bit of fatigue that I didn't notice while holding up my iPad 2. More often than not it's resting on a pillow on my lap so it's really not that big a deal in the end.

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Yes big time, my ellbow hurts like mad because of the massive additional weight in front of my face.

Just kidding

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
My ipad 2 feels sleek in comparison. The new one definitely feels chunkier and heavier.

I would have preferred they lost some battery life and not bulked it up.

I wonder if it would have got out the door like that if Steve was still in charge? He was a big fan of slimmer and lighter, not the reverse!

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
It's noticeable, but only if you are aware if that makes sense. I held the iPad2 and new iPad in each hand and the difference is there, but nothing to moan about IMO.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
It is noticeable to me, but i am trying to offset it by using a thinner case instead of the thick leather folio I had on my ipad2.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, but I've been using a Galaxy Note while waiting for this to come out.

The weight is not a deal breaker, decided to go with just a smart cover.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
I do think Apple should have reducing the iPad's weight as a high priority though.
How do you propose they do that? We all want the thinnest, lightest, most-powerful and long-lasting tablet, but you can't have everything. Some inevitable sacrifices have to be made.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
No-one would ever vote for thicker and heavier even by a modest amount.

I guess a lot of people like the 9 or 10 hour battery life or whatever it is, but there are those who don't want sacrifices in our Apple products!

Jonesy76

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Norwich
Well pick a sacrifice then!!!

It's either sacrifice some weight, or sacrifice battery life?

As I use my iPad away from power sources a lot I for one am happy that it still has the same battery life as my iPad 1 whilst giving me a multitude of superb new features.