Does the Airport Express extend wireless networks other than AirPort Extreme ones?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anti-microsoft, Jul 3, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I've been eager to purchase an AirPort Extreme Base Station for quite some time now, but would the network extention work with, lets say a comtrend Wireless router?

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

The airport express uses the standard WDS for network extension. If your router supports WDS then the express can be configured to extend the network. I have this set up with a Linksys router and it works great.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont think that you can add your router and have it as an extender, as wPod said itl need to support WDS. if it does your laughing, if not go with maybe another comtrend or something

4. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Well see, I quite like the wireless printing idea and AirTunes so...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ooohhh yea... forgot about those features.. in that case get airport!!!!

6. russell.h macrumors regular

Just to be clear (since you reference both) the Airport Extreme Base Station doesn't support AirTunes (it does however support external hard drives, printing, using a powered USB hub to more of either or both, and 802.11n).

The Airport Express on the other hand has AirTunes, can support a single printer, and is significantly cheaper. No 802.11n, shared drives, and only one printer though.

It sounds like you are after the Airport Express, I just wanted to clarify since you mention both.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup it really depends on wht you want i spose... the options or the airtunes... i spose you could save a bit longer and get both!!! mwahahaha

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah sorry I did mean Express!