Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering if I can walk into an Apple store and purchase an iMac 21.5 or 27 and have them pop in a Fusion drive or SSD or do they have to place an order in and wait a few weeks?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Just wondering if I can walk into an Apple store and purchase an iMac 21.5 or 27 and have them pop in a Fusion drive or SSD or do they have to place an order in and wait a few weeks?

Some stores carry some of the build to order options in store (usually in an "ultimate" config) and some will have a fusion drive. You'll need to contact the store to find out whether they have them in stock though.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I would assume that if they are available, that stores would have them ready for purchase. Just call and ask one.

widow maker

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I have phones apple stores in the UK and found new 27inch Imacs with both with Fusion and without

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I got my 27" i7/8GB/1TB Fusion/680MX from an Apple store this week....they are out there.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013

I was surprised to find mine available in the Apple store about a week and a half ago. They only had one of them and it was exactly the build I wanted, so I bought it:

3.4GHz i7
27" 1TB Fusion Drive
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 680MX 2GB

They also had a low-end version of the 27", and it was also the only other 27" in stock (I can't remember if it had the Fusion Drive). It sounded like they had a few different 21.5" models available at the time. You should probably just go there or call and ask.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Depends on where you are located. In Colorado the 27 is pretty much sold out statewide. It's actually pretty frustrating that Apple keeps releasing smash products with zero chance of getting one without pestering the Apple stores in your area daily. It would be much better if they'd simply put inventory online, then I could see which stores have gotten them and go down and pick it up. Whatever Apple has done for environmental friendliness with their product designs is lost when a million people drive around trying to buy the stuff.

Last edited:

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Just bought mine today or I should say found a replacement for my first one. They got in several of each models. There were several us buying them at the same time.

I am in Los Angeles.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Just as an aside, I actually stopped into a local apple store today and they had just gotten in a bunch of 27" iMacs including a couple in the top spec (i7, etc). I had a BTO on order, but this was a bit irresistible, even though I had been planning on replacing the fusion drive with my own SSD... they also gave me my 6% discount which it turns out they weren't supposed to do so I ended up buying on the spot.

This is a really nice machine. :)

lshin037

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
Before I purchased my 27", I called all the stores in the metro Atlanta area and, for the 27" models, it was either the base model with no fusion drive or the fully spec'd as far as the processor and video card with 1Tb fusion.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The west nyack ny store said they had a few 1tb FD but I think the girl was confused because she said it was the entry level model price of 1999.00 . the 1999 model is not FD.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Probably the larger urban area the better chance to find one with the configuration you want. A smaller location with less traffic probably only carries the base models and maybe a few with various options.

triplecrown

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Toms River, NJ
I was surprised to find mine available in the Apple store about a week and a half ago. They only had one of them and it was exactly the build I wanted, so I bought it:

3.4GHz i7
27" 1TB Fusion Drive
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 680MX 2GB

^^This. Walked into the apple store in the Freehold Mall in NJ and walked out with this same config. in under 5 minutes.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
just called West Nyack NY and they in fact have a limited stock with 1tb fusion drive at 2599.00

Last edited:

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I called the closest Apple Store to me, which is in the Florida Mall in Orlando, Florida. The lady checked her inventory, and checked with staff. She said they in fact did have 27" iMacs in stock, ready to purchase. She said they had build to order models including one with the 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, 680MX GPU, also stated that they had the regular $1799 and $1999 configurations. Though when she mentioned a couple setups she stressed that they had limited quantities at that store. Though that's to be expected. I was actually thinking about cancelling my iMac order, and just making the 1 hour drive over to Orlando to pick one of those up. Though of course I wouldn't have cancelled the order until I had one in hand. I didn't do so though because the model with the specs I wanted came with the Fusion Drive, and I don't want the Fusion Drive, just yet at least. I'm more of a 100% SSD, or 100% HDD. Also, it's worth noting that she said they had a good bit of the Retina MacBook Pros, and also, the Classic MacBook Pros with the 1680x1050 Hi-Res displays (which is what I was thinking about getting to go with my iMac).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.