Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majurg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I am one of those guys who keeps all their media locally, hence this question.

Are you allow to download music from your local library on iTunes or the phone to the Apple Watch or do you have to be subscribed to Apple Music to access music? I would rather not have to subscribe to that or iTunes Match if I can help it.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

Are you allow to download music from your local library on iTunes or the phone to the Apple Watch or do you have to be subscribed to Apple Music to access music? I would rather not have to subscribe to that or iTunes Match if I can help it.

The leaked Release Notes for watchOS 4.1 indicate that you can stream music via Apple Music or iCloud Music Library. And it looks like you don't need an LTE version to do it either.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...usic-subscription-to-listen-to-music.2080566/

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006

You can still sync playlists from your iPhone to the Watch.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Even if they are not apple music playlists?
Correct. The Apple Music feature is not a requirement. It’s in addition to the current capability of watchOS. So if you don’t want access to your entire music library via the cloud, you can still sync the songs you already have downloaded on your iPhone to the watch.

Apple Music or iCloud Music Library add the capability of being able to stream your entire library on the watch without syncing it manually. You still have the option of just syncing playlists from your regular music library to the watch. You’ll just only have access to those songs on your watch, rather than all of your music.

majurg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Correct. The Apple Music feature is not a requirement. It’s in addition to the current capability of watchOS. So if you don’t want access to your entire music library via the cloud, you can still sync the songs you already have downloaded on your iPhone to the watch.

Apple Music or iCloud Music Library add the capability of being able to stream your entire library on the watch without syncing it manually. You still have the option of just syncing playlists from your regular music library to the watch. You’ll just only have access to those songs on your watch, rather than all of your music.

Awesome, thank you for the help! Sounds like I have a replacement now for my old shuffle ;)

ChrisDolphin

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008

[doublepost=1509574956][/doublepost]Who has managed to stream their iCloud Music Library from their Series3 - no obvious way of doing this ! Radio - fine, iCloud Music Library - no idea !

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
[doublepost=1509574956][/doublepost]Who has managed to stream their iCloud Music Library from their Series3 - no obvious way of doing this ! Radio - fine, iCloud Music Library - no idea !

I've done it. In fact I'm streaming an album right now from my ICloud Library

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.