Does the AT&T iPhone 5 have extra hidden LTE bands?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acarney, Sep 16, 2012.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

http://gigaom.com/mobile/whats-att-planning-hidden-specs-unearthed-in-the-gsm-iphone-5/

Very very interesting... the article goes on to mention that AT&T seems to have a large amount of holdings in the PCS band and they may try to speed up a refarming effort to try to roll out nation wide LTE on additional bands as they limit how much 2G and 3G spectrum is left in use.

My question though, would either of those bands match up with SprintPCS's LTE roll out? I could understand if Sprint wanted their own version so they could lock customers in and what not but i'm curious if an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T one with those extra bands) might be able to jump onto a MVNO that has access to Sprint LTE network and doesn't mind allowing any device on as long as they're paying monthly...

2. realeric, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

It might be reserved for Chinese carriers. :cool:

Edit) China uses 2.6GHz band and TD-LTE instead of FD-LTE, aka, LTE.

The hidden band is LTE Band 2 (1900MHz) and Band 5 (850MHz).
    MetroPCS uses LTE Band 2 (1900MHz) in the USA.

3. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I hope so and they work on verizon! Haha I wish

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

LTE is such a mess worldwide.

None of the bands Apple supports will work in Malaysia, where they are going with 2600 MHz

5. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, I'm really shocked there hasn't been more partnerships on getting LTE onto the same kind of bands so they can offer one device that works in many places. I would think it would keep costs down everywhere for deployment and selling devices to retail. Then the telcos could fight for customers by offering promotions and deals and stuff. It's hard for AT&T or someone to gain additional users besides making huge deals with device makers and getting the "best" device. Could you picture a world where everyone was like TMobile and didn't need to sell you a device and just sold you data and minutes? I honestly think if the big four kept thinking greedy but HAD that ability they could convince people to be locked into a two year agreement PLUS bring their own phone and just save $10/month on data service or something. It would look like a good deal but probably wouldn't be AND the big four wouldn't have to sell out any extra cash for a discounted device.

6. ar93 macrumors member

so my unlocked iphone 5 could work on metro pcs??

7. benguild macrumors 6502a

That's interesting...
    Especially since there was talk of MetroPCS and T-Mobile combining, and AT&T already had to give some shared LTE spectrum to T-Mobile.

So, basically this is T-Mobile's iPhone right here.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

Wow... I used to live in Singapore and according to my friend, Singtel is deploying Band 3 (1800) in addition to 7 (2600) so the iPhone 5 will work but darn. That's crazy how neighboring countries supports a different wireless bands.

9. ar93 macrumors member

Yea I heard that tmobile was trying to merge with metropcs. If that does happen am I going to get 4g lte since I'm in metropcs coverage area? I don't like being on edge man.

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

T-Mobile is slowly refarming their HSPA frequency to match AT&T's so iPhone users will be able to use HSPA+ in the area they have completed the refarming.

In addition to that, they are also going to deploy 4G LTE with Band 4 (same one as AT&T).

It's also reported that T-Mobile is in talks to buy MetroPCS which means more spectrum for them to deploy HSPA and LTE with these frequencies. This merger is kind of strange because MetroPCS is CDMA so T-Mobile will have to convert all the MPCS towers to GSM/LTE. But that's topic for another day. :rolleyes:

I can't wait until that day T-Mobile has both HSPA and LTE in my area and I can say bye bye to AT&T and go month to month with T-Mobile for a lot cheaper.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard Sprint was going to buy up Metropcs.
    Not sure what will happen in the end but what's the point of Tmobile that is a GSM carrier to buy a CDMA networks business and clients?

12. ar93 macrumors member

hmmm i dont know but i hope it happens i want 4g lte haha.
    but i too wonder how its going to work since one is gsm and the other cdma. :confused:

13. atomic50 macrumors member

Does anyone know if band 2 1900MHz and 5 850MHz on the unlocked At&t model be used because it is in the FCC filings? I am hoping T-Mobile picks up MetroPCS so they can have AWS and 1900MHz LTE!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Either way with Tmobile you will get HSPA+ with an iphone soon within a year in most places they said.
    That's with or without merging with Metro pieceofshizzle:D

15. ar93 macrumors member

yea but i cant wait a year to get atleast 3g on my iphone thats insane.
    regardless if they do or do not merge if i dont have 3g by the end of the month im going back to straight talk. atleast i got 3g on my iphone 4 there.:p

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree with you.
    I dont know how some people have been doing it for years on 2G edge with tmobile since the original iphone in 2007.
    I dont have that kind of patience either:)

17. ar93 macrumors member

me neither! the only reason i even got the $50 dollar plan was because of theyre commercials flaunting how your iphone works better on their 3g/4g than att's and blah blah blah. i call ******** im still on edge haha but i have seen posts by people saying they got 3g on their iphones but only for a couple of blocks or for a few seconds. so i'll just wait it out for a month and see what happens.:rolleyes: