Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuloch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
From at least the iPhone 4 through the 5, AT&T had an undocumented loophole that if you pre-ordered a new iPhone, you were not hit with the $250 early upgrade fee. This made annual upgrades a no-brainer, as long as you could afford the gap between the preorder and selling your 1-year-old phone on eBay or Craigslist.

I couldn't afford the gap last year, so I don't know whether this loophole still exists. I'm hoping to use it for my sister-in-law, as her line doesn't hit the 2 year contract release until March.

Is this loophole still available? Or was it so obscure that no one here even knew about it?

Last edited:

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
My sister desperately wants to upgrade her 5S as it's pretty banged up, if you'd like to tell a little aboht this loophole :eek:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
From at least the iPhone 4 through the 5, AT&T had an undocumented loophole that if you pre-ordered a new iPhone, you were not hit with the $250 early upgrade fee. This made annual upgrades a no-brainer, as long as you could afford the gap between the preorder and selling your 1-year-old phone on eBay or Craigslist.

I couldn't afford the gap last year, so I don't know whether this loophole still exists. I'm hoping to use it for my sister-in-law, as her line doesn't hit the 2 year contract release until March.

Is this loophole still available? Or was it so obscure that no one here even knew about it?

What in the world are you talking about?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Now that you posted it here, it will definitely not work. Even if it ever worked at all in the first place.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
He's talking about AT&T pushing up upgrade eligibility on iPhone lines, which they have done in the past automatically for some releases.

No official word, but those calling are getting stone-walled on upgrade dates since AT&T really wants people to take the Next option and not a subsidized line.

mr1581

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
they definitely stopped that last year. It was only on the primary line.. giving the ability to upgrade every year to new iphone..but last year it was stopped cold...

kuloch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
It was not limited to the primary line, and it was definitely not free (or a pipe dream). You paid the 2-year contract price for an iPhone preorder, even if your current phone was only 1 year into its current 2-year contract. The benefit to this "loophole" was simply not having the extra $250 added on top, which AT&T normally applies between x months and 2 years.

I hardly believed it when a friend told me about it, but it still worked great - as of 2 years ago, when I last used it.

I guess I'll have to see for myself in a few days whether or not it still works.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
It was not limited to the primary line, and it was definitely not free (or a pipe dream). You paid the 2-year contract price for an iPhone preorder, even if your current phone was only 1 year into its current 2-year contract. The benefit to this "loophole" was simply not having the extra $250 added on top, which AT&T normally applies between x months and 2 years.

I hardly believed it when a friend told me about it, but it still worked great - as of 2 years ago, when I last used it.

I guess I'll have to see for myself in a few days whether or not it still works.

No more early upgrade options beside doing the NEXT plan. You have to have a full upgrade available if you do not want to do the NEXT upgrade...

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Not true.My upgrade date is Sep 22 and I called in July to ask if they would move my date up and AT&T said your upgrade date is now the 1st of the month. I called in August and today to verify and got same response.Went to AT&T site it says I am upgrade eligible already.

He's talking about AT&T pushing up upgrade eligibility on iPhone lines, which they have done in the past automatically for some releases.

No official word, but those calling are getting stone-walled on upgrade dates since AT&T really wants people to take the Next option and not a subsidized line.

----------

Also,the upgrade fee is now $40,up from $36.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Call AT&T, threaten to cancel.

Act this way with them. I won't sweat the ETF, I can sell the 5s to pay the ETF.

Always had my upgrade bumped this way.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
So by calling ATT and being an ******* you can get your entitlement. :mad:

Pretty much. I pay for their overpriced service. Their business practices and tactics are extremely shady. Don't fool yourself.

I'm suggesting everyone votes with their wallet. Its up to them to give a decision.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Pretty much. I pay for their overpriced service. Their business practices and tactics are extremely shady. Don't fool yourself.

I'm suggesting everyone votes with their wallet. Its up to them to give a decision.

Eveyone is getting reading to "vote with their wallet" and the vote will be overwhelming in favor of Apple. May the others move aside and get out of the way!:p

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
No more early upgrade options beside doing the NEXT plan. You have to have a full upgrade available if you do not want to do the NEXT upgrade...

That's not true. My contract ends in April '15 and I'm eligible for a $200 discount on a full priced phone if I sign a 2 year contract. They do this because I have some leverage in that I can pay EFT and switch carriers. I'd like to see how much my EFT would be, as I can't recall how much it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.