Does the current phone support VoLTE, or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benguild, Sep 14, 2012.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

So, the networks only do data. But, what if they did voice as well? Would Verizon, for example, suddenly support simultaneous calling and data?

2. rushluvr macrumors member

You can do voice and data simultaneously with most of the LTE Android phones on Verizon. However, if reports are true, looks like Apple screwed you out of that feature on CDMA carriers.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even on LTE the Verizon and sprint i5 won't support that feature.
    Gsm and LTE do work still.

4. applefan022 macrumors 6502

AT&T falls back to HSPA+ when using voice and data.

5. gopnick macrumors regular

I saw someone here write that the article stated that even if VZW implements VoLTE, the iPhone won't support it. I haven't read any such thing.

So, I don't know the answer, but that's a possible complicating factor. It's also possible that a simple software update would get it working.

Does anyone know about the chip itself?

----------

Yep. The NYT article posted to the MR front page says this. No LTE + voice on AT&T, but you can have HSPA+, + voice.

6. rushluvr, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

rushluvr macrumors member

Verizon can already do voice and data simultaneously with a SIM card. My Razr Maxx did it, so does the Galaxy S3. Just another example of Apple being behind the times...

7. twigg macrumors member

8. KPOM macrumors G5

9. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Guys the question is if the iPhones chip set can handle voLTE. voLTE is what Verizon is launching to route their voice over lte.

The phones out there that support both data and voice at the same time on Verizon aren't doing it over voLTE (Verizon hasn't rolled it out yet). They are doing it by dual chips (one for lte and one for CDMA voice). We know the ip5 won't support this.

10. rushluvr macrumors member

So Apple couldnt be troubled to add a 3rd antenna so the iphone 5 could do simultaneous voice and data but Samsung did with the S3? Just another example of why Samsung is taking over and the S3 is the superior phone :)

"So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.

Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? It actually already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify its manufacturing process of the iPhone for multiple carriers."

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then what are you doing posting and reading an iphone forum besides the obvious?
    Go play with your samsung android buddies with the superior phone that's taking over:D
    lol

12. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if it does LTE and CDMA on the same antenna, if the network starts to support VoLTE... does that mean it won't have to switch to CDMA for calls? Or, is this just not supported by this device/chipset/hardware?

13. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's not a matter of being behind the times, it was a hardware decision. In order to allow simultaneous voice and data with Verizon, it would require another antenna for CDMA voice and LTE data.

This is why most Android phones do, because they are much bulkier and have the space for the extra antenna.

14. AVonGauss macrumors regular

VoLTE doesn't have anything to do with CDMA, but more than likely the IP5 will never support VoLTE unless they do it as a purely software solution which is unlikely.