Does The Federal Government Have The Authority To Compel A Woman To Get An Abortion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Since the government now has the authority to compel someone to purchase a private product with private money for private use from a private company or face possible punishment where does that authority end?

Using the same logic the federal government could now pass a "tax" saying that anyone who has more than 1 kid would face a $100,000 tax penalty. The act of the person having a child has no bearing on their income nor is it an act of interstate commerce - like the purchase of health care.

What I find most interesting about this situation is the inevitable unintended consequences of such authority being generated by the federal government. Living in California I am reminded every day of the unintended consequences of the progressive expansion of the commerce clause as it relates to the regulation of intrastate commerce and California's ability to regulate medical marijuana.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You should have titled the thread, "How Slippery is My Slope?"

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Maybe a move to Canada is in order....:rolleyes:

The conspiracy theorists are out in full effect aren't they?

4. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

Its a simple question.

What behavior can't the federal government compel under the taxing clause of the constitution?

Just like the regulation of intrastate commerce and its unintended consequences, in 50 years what is stopping something similar from occurring with this new federal authority.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Does the government have the ability to conscript every able bodied person? Does the government have the ability to force you to save for retirement?

Yes.

Your premise would have to be tested. I see no scenario where the government would compel women to have abortions, but they are certainly making a go of compelling women not to have abortions.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

Nothing really. Just change the Constitution.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I see no reason why the government couldn't regulate the number of children you have in a similar way to the ACA. That being said, there wouldn't be a requirement to have an abortion, just a penalty for having multiple children. The choice is still up to you, just like with the ACA.

Just because the government can do something, doesn't mean it is a reasonable possibility with our system of government. The situation would have to be very dire for elected officials to think a regulation like that would be needed.

In addition, there would need to be a need (at the time) that is reasonably and rationally related to the government's exercise of authority over child bearing couples. I can imagine a situation in 100 years where the oceans have risen, the US failed to wean itself from foreign oil, and we have massive food shortages. Perhaps then, a restriction on children might be wise.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So working off this silly theory can the federal government require republican women to have abortions ?

/wishful thinking

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I believe the answer would be: Whatever you can get a majority of Supreme Court justices to agree upon.

Edit: I see my answer was too simplistic.

First you have to get both the Senate and the House to pass the bill.

Second, you need the POTUS to sign it.

Lastly, if taken to court, you need 5 out of 9 Supreme Court Justices to agree with it.

Simple, eh?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh boy- I'm sure there's some tin foil laying around here somewhere...;)

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well the last part isn't really that bad. The president can just appoint more justices. FDR threatened to do this if the SCOTUS did not approve the New Deal

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You can't "just appoint more justices" considering the fact that their job is a lifetime job and it takes an act of congress to impeach one.

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Procedures_Reform_Bill_of_1937

Pretty much he could have ran this legislation through Congress, got it passed, and then stacked the court.

I guess my wording was confusing on my last post since I kinda skimmed over the passing legislation part.

14. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The Constitution doesn't say how many Justices there can be.

Even if more justices could be appointed, they'd have to be approved by the Senate and you'd still need a majority of them to declare something Constitutional.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could our government outlaw stupidity? Would it require an amendment to the Constitution?

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Do republican women even have sex??

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

And if you take a liberal (not liberal like the political party) interpretation to that, that means it doesn't say you can't appoint more.

Well the whole premise of what we're talking about is already having the senate/house and president belonging to one party. So going off that, it would be rather easy for somebody to run legislation through like FDR wanted to, appoint justices that are for your party, and then do whatever you want.

The Constitution is by far not perfect.

19. JBazz macrumors 6502

It hasnt been too long ago that women in America were forced to have abortions and sterilization. My mother worked MHMR and her patients could be forced.

I am pro choice, but I see several scenarios were gov would love to force abortions like imprisoned women, institutionalized women, etc. do I think it is likely we will revert back to that? No, but it is in the realm of possibilities. Vigilance is needed in giving a voice to the voiceless.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If.

If.

If.

And ...?

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

what are you talking about?

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Although the OP is giving an extreme example I don't think the underlying point is something to scoff at. If you give an entity in power an inch why the automatic assumption that it won't take you for a mile? Being compelled to buy health insurance certainly got me thinking about unintended consequences that this decision could lay the ground work for.

I got a better understanding of it though after reading this link taking about Roberts' decision.
    As citizenzen pointed out the Justices made a very narrowly defined decision that only impacts this specific law in this specific instance. From what I've read it doesn't seem to lay a foundation of precedent that future laws could be built upon.

Lethal

23. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

Yet that isn't how supreme court rulings work.
    The precedent is set and future courts will look to this case to make future rulings.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That proposal never got past committee and I don't think this ( or any other ) congress would pass such legislation.

So my statement is upheld 1-0
    :p

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The sky is falling the sky is falling,,,, My god, the government could even compel us to vote Republican. :rolleyes: