Does the GOP completely throw Seperation of Church and State out the window?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GKDAIR, Aug 30, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Nearly everyone has prayed, theres been like 3 speeches from church members, everybody interviewed on CNN has to thank the creator for letting them speak to CNN, one of the big things Romney will talk about is his Mormonism.

Seriously? Why even have Seperation of Church and State at this point? Jeez...

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't mind praying or anything (obviously since I'm Christian) but I DO mind people's false and twisted interpretation of the Bible being snuck into politics.

Common sense says politics and religion should NEVER mix.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

There is nothing wrong with pair nor is the this government funded. It only becomes an issue when they start forcing said faith on others in law
    That being said they have no problem with doing it in law.

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

No one is forcing anyone to be part of any religion. Some people are religious and others aren't. Just because a president or other elected official practices a religion, doesn't mean they are throwing separation of church and state out the window. I don't see what's wrong with believing in a higher being as long as no one else forces me or anyone else to as well.

5. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Separation of church and state is widely misunderstood.
    First of all, it doesn't appear in the constitution at all. The phrase comes from a letter Jefferson wrote to the Danbury baptists in the early 1800's.

The significant relevant mention of this topic in the constitution is in the First amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Basically, Government shouldn't promote or dictate one religion over another, and should not prohibit anyone from practicing their religion.

So... what exactly is the problem? Is the religion of the people on TV offending your delicate sensibilities?

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You're absolutely right. However, the GOP is the party of making laws based on their religion. No gay marriage, no abortions....all because it goes against their religion. That's wrong.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My problem is them trying to force their beliefs on innocent people through law.

When they impose their disgusting beliefs on gays and women you're damn right it offends my "delicate sensibilities"

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To varying degrees you have to pander to Christians because they make up a large percentage of the US population and they vote. Not to mention the fact that many (most?) will vote based on faith and will vote based on whom their local church tells them to vote for. JFK is the only Catholic to be President and during his run up to office some said he shouldn't be elected because he would be forced to defer to the Pope.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If these "Christians" were truly practicing what was in the bible they wouldn't have mitt Romney as their nominee.

Before mitt hit the national stage most Christians considered Mormonism a cult.

With that said there's nothing wrong with prayers etc. at party conventions.

10. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

You're both wildly off-topic. Blatant straw-man. The OP was complaining about "Nearly everyone" praying, "like 3 speeches from church members" and "everybody" being interviewed on CNN thanking their creator. As such, he came to the conclusion that this was somehow 'throwing the separation of church and state out the window" which is of course (as I pointed out) completely unrelated and irrelevant to his original complaint.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My problem with all this ersatz piety is that they talk about God and Christian values and in the next breath they demonstrate that they have no moral compass and will lie about anything and everything.

The mention of religion or faith is totally inappropriate in that nest of vipers.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Marco Rubio is doing a great job in continuing to praise the lord.

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Who made any such laws or said they would? When were any laws made by a republican or democrat out of religion?

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd go a step farther and say they wouldn't be concerned much at all about politics in general because what does politics have to do with following the teachings of Jesus?

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Republicans are constantly speaking about abortion and gay marriage. They want to end/prevent both of these things based on their religion. If they could, they would repeal a woman's right to choose and they would never vote for gay marriage rights.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Like we saw in the other thread 46% of Americans still believe in creationism without evolution.

The Republicans get all these votes when they preach this ********. That's why they do it.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The only post of anyone who has a clue of what they're talking about. Kudos sir. I too am tired of people misunderstanding this concept.

18. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Republicans have had the majority in both houses and a dude in the white house and it never happened. Making generalizations about "if they..." doesn't make anything fact making law from religion.

No one is making laws from religion.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Does DOMA count? Democratic President, Republican Congress, no gay marriage. What did they base this law on? The traditional - read religious - definition of marriage. Here's some reading on how laws are based on religous views:

http://www.atheistallianceamerica.org/about-aaa/about-us/policy-positions.html

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That page says that certain laws are the way they are because of religious beliefs, which doesn't mean they were enacted because of religion.

I don't think it's reasonable to say that all people against abortion or gay marriage are religious. There are people who just don't like it for whatever reason. One of the people I work with does not believe in abortion and he doesn't actively practice a religion or go to church. He views it as protecting the unborn child (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that assessment). I encountered anti-gay atheists in college.

Yes there are people against those two things who are religious, but not always. My issue with this discussion is making generalization "if republicans could, they would make law based on religious beliefs".

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't understand your first sentence. Without religion, there are no religious beliefs. There are a lot of restrictions on abortion in this country. There are people who are fighting to make more laws restricting abortion. To say that a vast majority of these people who have made laws and are fighting for more are religious and Republicans is a true statement. They would admit it. Have you seen the convention? Lots of talk about god, lots of talk about respecting life. What do you think they are talking about?

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

They do have religion present, but that doesn't mean they are going to use it to make laws. There's nothing wrong with looking to a higher immortal being. Most of America is religious one way or another between all of the areas of Christianity, Judaism, Muslim, etc. So what do you expect?

I don't know what you are looking for and I know this section of the boards is very heated. I'm not looking to start an argument. Believe what you want and fear religion. I'm not going to change your mind.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I didn't think you were starting an argument. Its a conversation, to me. The problem I have with religion in the USA is that our government and our laws are supposed to be seperate from religion. That isn't always the case. If you think that means I fear religion, so be it.

24. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

As stated by someone above, there is nothing in the Constitution about separation of church and state. I read your posts as if you were implying Republicans do want church and state to be one and use religion to make laws.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You read correctly. This is my opinion, don't ask for sources: Republicans lately love to scare us into thinking someday, if we aren't careful, we could be like a middle east country, living under sharia law. They say that religious rule in this country would destroy all the freedoms that we love. However, they have no problem basing laws on their religion. And I don't think a majority of them would argue with me. And just because something isn't in the Constitution, doesn't mean it shouldn't be important. Church and State should be separate. If it isn't, how free will the land of the free be?