Does the iPad 2 make sense for me if I own an iMac and iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PatriotInvasion, Mar 8, 2011.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So, I have a 2010 quad-core i5 27" iMac AND an iPhone 4. Do you think the iPad 2 would just be Apple overkill? I mean, if I want to go to a website, am I really going to choose between 3 devices to do so?

Curious if other people who plan to buy the iPad 2 also own a Mac and an iPhone. Let me know your thoughts on the benefits of owning all three.:D

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I bought the first iPad but I ended up selling it because I couldn't justify having that and my iPhone. I know some people have have both and love both but for me I didn't need the iPad when I had an iPhone. Now I have an Android phone so I'll probably get the iPad 2 to use all my iOS apps.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

If you already have an iPhone and an iMac, and iPad may be overkill. I have an iMac and an iPad and use the iPad as my portable device. I once bought an iPod Touch before the iPad, and decided to return it and get the iPad, since the iPad has more uses and is bigger.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think that the iPad is a great addition to your set up. While the iPhone is the perfect size for what it is, it is not really the best device for viewing documents when you aren't at home. I had lost count of the amount of times that I had wished that the iPhone was bigger, only then to think that it would become useless at its main role, being a phone. The added screen real-estate on the iPad makes it a totally different animal to the iPhone.
    The only thing that made me reevaluate my decision to buy the iPad was the Macbook Air. However the iPad is more portable than the MBA.

5. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I have an iPhone 4, iPad (soon to be 2) a MacBook Pro, and a 27" iMac at the office. The "Already have an iPhone 4" question has already been debated to death, so I won't bother with it. Personally I don't see what having an iMac has anything to do with having an iPad. It is a desktop. Obviously, an iPad would benefit you whenever you want to do computery things while not sitting at a desk, like resting on the couch, lying in bed or sipping coffee at Starbucks, all while avoiding the limitations of a 3.5" iPhone screen.

I could see there being an argument against buying an iPad if you already owned a MacBook or PC laptop, but if you only have a desktop ... yes, something like the iPad will benefit you, unless you choose to restrict your use of it to sitting at the very desk where your iMac now resides.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have all 3...I use my phone for my browsing, reading, etc..when I am at work and just out of my home. When I get home, my iPad replaces my phone. I can carry it around with me...watch movies while I cook, just hang on the couch and surf the net. I even set it down and watch something while I am folding the laundry. I'll also use it to read in bed before going to sleep. Of course I still use my Mac to sync and organize the phone and the iPad, as well as to do the things I can't do on my iPad.

Long story short...I believe that they all compliment each other and have unique uses.

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I have a Macbook Pro, iPhone 4, and iPad. I really don't need the iPad, but it's a fun thing to have around. It excels at extremely portable web viewing and I find it to be a fantastic ereader. I also use it to carry notes and videos on iOS development. If you have an iMac, I would think having something very portable like an iPad would be a great compliment to your current setup. Honestly, you most likely don't need an iPad but you will probably find it to be a welcome addition to your current Apple products.

8. iMule macrumors 6502

There's really no justification. You don't need one. However, like others said, it will come in handy. After you've had one, it's tough to beat the mobile experiences such as web browsing, apps, and email.

I really have no use for the WiFi iPad. I've got a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4. I have no issues with carrying my laptop around. However, I the 3G model totally changes that. I can carry it to work and everywhere else and I'm always connected.

Navigating Safari on the iPhone can be painful at times. When I had the iPhone 3G, my laptop fried, so I spent 3 months using my iPhone as my primary machine, lol, so it's possible.

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Thanks all for the interesting and thoughtful replies. I guess the consensus is that if I have the money to spend on it, I will be happy with the purchase...but it could be a little excessive...:p

If the iPad 2 had a retina or just higher resolution display, I think it would be a no-brainer...but from what I hear, the iPhone 4 spoils your eyes making your iPad screen look less impressive. And what's with the 4:3 aspect ratio? Seems so 1997-ish.

If Apple could just take the 13" 1200x800 LED/IPS screen off of the MacBook and make it the iPad, I would be happy...Xoom specs with Apple design and iOS I guess ;)

10. aluren macrumors 65816

I thought the iPad was a little excessive as well, but I ended up using it the most at home. I have a desktop PC, a Dell laptop, and iPhone 4 and used to use my laptop to surf the web in the living room. It was pretty painful dealing with the bulk and battery life. Why don't you just get the iPad 2 and try it out? If you don't like it then just return it or sell it on eBay for a profit? :)

11. AlkFoo macrumors member

As I pounder the iPad2, I am not really thinking of purchasing it along the lines of having an iPhone or any Mac. I am actually wondering if I should purchase apple TV to go along with it. I am seeing it more as an "entertainment" outlet. Synce my iTunes, movies, pictures and vidoe along with the "airplay". Of course, it will have email, browsing, etc... but I think for me it will a line better with entertainment to home (TV, etc...).

12. sap12690 macrumors 6502

I also have an iMac and iPhone 4, and i dont see getting an iPad 2 an overkill. Im gonna use it for school and for moments when i cant use my phone. I also have an apple TV :D, i love :apple:

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Not even apple can craft that type of magical product

14. cyper2002 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4, iMac, and Macbook Pro. I bought the iPad when it first came out and I was annoyed to death by it's wifi issues that apple should have responded to sooner. I got impatient and returned it. While it was gone I realized just how much I missed it so bought another one after a few months. I have to say after a year with it I think it's the device I use the most, besides my iPhone. I love browsing the web on it, playing games, and reading. The battery life and portability are tops for me. I leave the laptop behind anymore.

15. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well, I paid a heck of a lot for my iMac and pay a lot for my iPhone 4 each month. I don't want to cannibalize my use and enjoyment of those devices by adding an iPad to the mix. Leaning against it now...

16. surfbo740 macrumors newbie

I have any iPhone 4 (JB), Macbook Pro hooked up to a 27" monitor, and iPad. Honestly after purchasing the iPad my MBP didn't leave it's iMac configuration except once every two months. The iPad is just way to convenient for me. It sounds bad, but turning on the MBP ended up feeling like a hassle. I'm a college student, and while the MBP doesn't kill me to take to class, I can't type to take notes, just won't happen. So I purchased Note Taker HD and a Targas stylus for the iPad and now my backpack feels empty and alls well. The only time I use my MBP anymore is for writing papers. iPad for all online classes, notes, pdf/articles I have to read for class, iBooks for pleasure and research reading. I'm waiting for the second iPad to come out currently and it kinda sucks not having the first one (sold it) at this point. As the iPad is expensive, I told myself if I didn't love it, I'd return it immediately. Suffice to say that didn't happen. For your setup I really don't see how you can go wrong, and if it doesn't work out I'd just return it for a MBA.

17. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Overkill? Maybe.

I am buying the iPad 2 and I have both the iPhone 4 and iMac with one major factor in mind, the battery life. With the iPad's 10 hour battery life you can use that thing all day where as the iPhone you have charger very often with heavy use.

18. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Yes, you do.

I have an iMac (2010), iPhone 4 and MBP (2007). But I still have use for an iPad. I find the 4 devices mutually exclusive on a day-to-day basis.

The luxury of a svelte 'couchtop' device cannot be understated. Only once you start using it as such (I was skeptical at first), you realize how much better it is than a laptop for reading and casual browsing/email while lounging on a sofa.

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I've had the same debate in my head. I have a MBP and an iPhone 4. The iPad would not allow any functionality I do not already have. It would strictly be a "luxury." Kind of hard for me to justify right now. I may consider a gen 1 refurb.

But for you...you have no laptop. The iPad is a no-brainer.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't think it's overkill but it comes down to your needs. I think it's really nice to be able to browse the web, use RSS apps, email, etc. while on the couch and in that situation the iPad is a better experience than my iPhone. I also use it a lot for reading and it's great for entertainment while traveling.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Like many I have the ipad & iPhone 4.

Once your casually browsing web on the ipad - it's hard to go back to the iphone 4 for the same task even if you thought it was ok before.

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Depends on your usage. I am not going to take notes in a board room meeting with my iPhone or an iMac. One looks like I'm texting and not paying attention, and the other is just absurd. But the iPad fits that scenario perfectly.

Sketching? Sure you can do it with a Wacom tablet chained to your iMac sitting at your desk, but I take the iPad out to a quiet corner of the house, curl up in the La-Z-Boy, and draw up mockups, wireframes, or just paint/sketch while listening to music, all on one device.

As with every tech gadget, your mileage may vary. My iPhone and iPad go everywhere with me, but my MacBook Pro is pretty much just used for coding and video editing these days. The iPad does everything else, and the iPhone is just if it's a quick lookup / email check or if I want to take pics/video on the fly.

23. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP, iPhone 4, & iPad. Here's how I use them:

iPad - Books, notes, news, forums, & games.
    iPhone - Facebook, email, games.
    MBP - Anything I have to download/use flash.

I'm rarely on my computer these days because I can do so much on my phone. I probably use my phone the most due to the convenience of always having it on me.

24. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well...certainly a lot to think about. I still think it's s bit of overkill to have all three, but not a terrible idea since I would have 3 completely different categories...a desktop (iMac), smartphone (iPhone 4) and "Post-PC Device":p (iPad 2).

The iMac can be my powerhouse for video editing, HDTV, i-device hub, etc
    The iPad can be my around the house lounging device to surf, play, have fun
    and my iPhone can be my smaller version...3G equipped...to enjoy in the outside world...hmmm...just trying to think/rationalize out loud :D

ahhhhhh...the stress of an Apple-holic!

25. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I think it's a perfect setting for my preferences. You can use your iMac with that big screen when the work capability is needed and also run it as the media server for the likes of AirVideo, allowing you to run pretty much any video, and even VNC/CrazyRemote at times. ;)