Does the iPad 3th gen have Gorilla glass (or at least some sort of strong glass)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeyL, May 4, 2012.

1. JoeyL, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

JoeyL macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have my iPad for about 3 weeks now I guess, it was a replacement for a device with the backlight visible trough the side of the screen. However when cleaning the screen I already noticed some VERY light scratch and a really tiny dent in the bezel. I can't imagine how I would have done this myself, I'm very careful with my iPad. Is it perhaps damage that has been done in the factory itself?

Again, you only see it when you really hold it right in the sun with a very clean screen, so no issue, but I'm just wondering why my phone doesn't have these while it is in my pocket with keys etc.

No, I won't go to the store whining about how bad it is and I want a replacement blabla, I really enjoy my iPad. :D

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Good luck. Not saying that I think you did it, but you're not going to get very much sympathy from the geniuses since you've had it for 3 weeks.

3. JoeyL, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

:p Read it again.

EDIT: It really is not a issue and if I gave it to someone and say to search the iPad for it they wouldn't even notice it (also can't feel it), but I'm just wondering if I also need a protector (I have a smartcover on it already).

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

On my original iPad I was crazy careful with it and only cleaned it with iKlear and microfiber cloth but I could see very minute surface scratching when I held it just so in the light. I then put on a Power Support screen protector and it looked like new when I traded it in. So even though many will claim that it's difficult to scratch the glass, I don't buy it as I've seen the scratches.

5. Mk4Jetta macrumors newbie

I think the coating they put on it is what is getting scratched. I wish they wouldnt even out it on there as it doesnt seem to resist any fingerprints. Mine got a scratch also and I'm very careful with it. I decided to get a screen protector.

6. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that it is the coating then. I notice fingerprints are more noticable on my phone then on my iPad, so at least the coating does something. :p But if it takes away the scratch resistance that kinda blows. :(

7. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Gorilla glass is just a marketing name. Steve jobs pretty much made Corning. Corning make gorilla glass. Go figure.

8. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

9. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Yeah because without jobs pumping cash into Corning, making them a relevant business and blessing them as an original iPhone component maker, they would be where they are today. Or not.

There would be no gorilla glass if it wasn't for the iPhone. Jobs actually encouraged their business. Corning had the idea since the 60s, why did they only make it big when iPhone made them a partner?

10. SmittS macrumors regular

Ya. All Corning does is make GG.

11. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Corning is a huge company and Steve Jobs certainly didn't "make Corning" - y'all are crazy. I love my new iPad but Corning was a massively successful company long before Steve Jobs became a customer, or was even born. They've also made many truly amazing innovations in glass products - such as their bendable fiber that enables FTTH installs in apartment complexes. Pretty amazing stuff for glass.

Steve Jobs showed Corning what he needed, and by designing the iPhone, made glass cover screens the new norm. But Corning would be perfectly OK without making another sheet of cell phone cover glass in their existence. There weren't even cell phones until Corning had been around over 100 years...

12. doctorxring macrumors member

Corning employs over 26,000 people worldwide and had sales of $6.6 billion in 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corning_Inc.

How many of these 26,000 people do you think are involved in
    making "Gorilla Glass" ?

If Apple fell into the sea, Corning would not even twitch.

13. Stefx73 macrumors regular

in 1851 Steve Jobs made Corning?
    iTimeTravel, there's an app for that...