Does the iPad baseband always kill the GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj9928, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dj9928 macrumors member

My carrier will unlock but its £20, trying to weigh up the pros and cons of it all. I don't actually use GPS, I like it for geotagging photos but other than that I don't use it.

2. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

its better to go for factory unlock rather than software unlock! i think its worth it!

3. hakuna-matata, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

It definitely killed mine..purchased from some guy..gave it to me ipad BB pre-installed and fooled me by saying its fac. unlocked. Later, i had lots of probs with that phone. GPS only shows current position, live tracking doesn't work..u can't update or restore OS without a custom made copy..it was a horror for a first time user :eek: and there is battery draining probs with ipadBB also..would advise to research well before buying

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hands down use the official carrier unlock.
    It's not just the gps that you will lose but also ability to restore or update to stock firmware and many other issues.
    The iPad bb on the iPhone has many issues.

5. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Is the unlock by carrier legit, i.e. no jailbreak or replacing with iPad baseband, if thats the case then it would just like factory unlocked iphone for $20 more.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If carrier unlock is available, USE IT!

It is not worth it having an unstable phone because you have to JB, and unlock. I had a 3GS that was unlocked in this manner, and the thing was unstable as ever. There weren't even any JB apps on that phone, only used the JB for the unlock. Purchased an official Apple unlocked iPhone 4 and much better, more pleasant experience.

It is definitely not worth it, especially if you want to do software updates on your phone every so often.

7. dj9928 thread starter macrumors member

No its legit, I asked the carrier (Vodafone UK). £20 and they unlock it

8. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

The iPad baseband is way more trouble then its worth unless your phone was subsidized by a carrier who refuses to unlock it (AT&T for example) just let Vodaphone Unlock it

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I have the iPad baseband on my old 3GS and it's annoying to have to make a custom IPSW and such before upgrading (and making sure a jailbreak/unlock is available). Definitely let Vodaphone do it. I wish carriers here were so willing to unlock phones like they are in Europe.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Use the Carrier unlock, I've heard of one or two people still having GPS after the iPad baseband upgrade, but I lost it when I upgraded. Plus there are other issues besides just losing GPS.