Does the iPhone 5 react to hydrogen peroxide?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, Jul 4, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all
    Just got a silly question i know, but want to know if someone has an answer. Does Hydrogen Peroxide like a little drop of the solution (contact lens solution) react when it comes into contact with an Iphone 5, as the sides and back of an Ip5 is made of anodized aluminum.

Thanks in advance.

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

OP, how about you try it and post your results. :)

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol okay i admit the silly question is due to the fact i took my lens out and placed it into the solution. However i am not certain for sure but a droplet of it may have went on the iphone. Not that I can see though myself. Yes before someone says it, I am being OCD here, which I do suffer from to a certain extent.

Also the reason why I ask is, I know when I put my lens into the little container I have, it does have a metal (i believe) barrel that the solution reacts to (which fizzes up and lets out bubbles), which is normal, as it cleans the lens out.

So far I dont see anything wrong with my Iphone. However I thought I post the question here.

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Slightly dampen a bit of paper towel and gently wipe the area that you suspect of having contact and then dry it gently. I'd be surprised if there's any adverse effect. :)

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

thats the thing I do not know for sure what area it is. I checked the iphone and it is dry etc, I just thinking of if there will be a delayed reaction, or something. Anyways will see how it goes lol, i know its probably just fine, but am just being silly i guess and worrying too much about it.

7. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Concentration of consumer grade H2O2 is too diluted to harm much. Any harm probably negligible unless a lot got into the inside of the phone.

8. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope it didn't get inside the phone. Thanks RetiredCat looks like you put this thread to an end and calmed me down now with your post. :)

9. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Thank goodness you're calmed down.

We can all sleep tonight.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I thought u were trying to make a BLONDE phone! :D

11. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol mrbobb the humour of this forum. This is what makes this forum a great place. Answer to silly and serious questions, a bit of humour its all good. lol. Now time for me to go watch Banshee, everyone i know has been going on about it. Not watched it yet. lol.

12. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

The metal you dropped into H2O2 was acting as a catalyst to the decomposition of H2O2. H2O2 is not stable and it always has the tendency to break down itself. with all that light around and heat from your hand or the phone itself, it should just be water and oxygen in the air by now.

13. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks jer04. Chemistry wasn't one of my good topics in school lol. Thanks for the clarification and Information.

14. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Haha, no problem. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. There is no silly question. :)

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Slightly OT: As a long time contact wearer I'll say, with some authority, that Clear Care is fantastic solution. No other contact cleaner comes close. It's expensive but will make your lenses last a lot longer for daily wear and monthly longevity. OP, kudos on using the good stuff.

16. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just wear the ones that I get as part of my monthly plan. Costs £14 a month for my toric contacts which I use monthly, and the solution cleaner bottles too. I have thought about laser correction but it's too expensive and I think too many risks are involved and it's still not safe in long term in my opinion so I stick to contact lens :). My lens can last about 10 hours a day though.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've heard your vision can revert overtime as well making the cost even more to maintain 20/20. With my contacts I've got 20/10. I make them last twice as long (2 months as I take my night and days out at night) and they generally don't bother me till the 14 hour mark. Last I went in the optometrist said if he didn't know I wore contacts he'd never suspect it my eyes are so healthy. Can't beat that bill of eye health!