does the iphone have the best smartphone camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Jun 30, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

do you think it will remain one of the phones with better cameras?

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yes. The iPhone camera will remain the standard for mobile devices.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Just because it's 41 megapixels doesn't mean anything. Picture quality means more than megapixels. I could have a 200 megapixel camera, all it means is I can blow it up if I wanted and it would look good..

5. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

6. irDigital0l Guest

Its one of the best.

Cnet had a pretty good comparison between iPhone 4S, HTC One X, and Galaxy S III.

All of them had their advantages and disadvantages.

7. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The S3 has a better camera, so do the newer HTC phones. The iPhone camera is a joke. No control over ISO, resolution, shooting modes, scenes, exposure...nothing. It's lack of any user controls at all makes it sub par to begin with.

8. blackhand1001, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The one x has a better camera. So does the old nokia n8. The galaxy s3s is probably better as well.

The n8 has an actual xenon flash as well and not a led flash. 12 megapixels and a carl Zeiss lense. Its essentially a real point and shoot camera in a phone.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/images/news/Nokia_N8-cam.jpg

9. scott craft macrumors 6502a

The pureview is probably the best camera out there. I don't have links handy, but I've done some reading on how it works and it is really neat. Here's a link to an article on it: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/23/3113024/nokia-808-pureview-sample-photos-video

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You clearly haven't read any reviews about this phone - or even visited the Nokia webpage. The phone takes, with the default settings, five megapixel pictures. They use oversampling (pixel binning) so every pixel becomes one 'superpixel' so you can create much better pictures than with regular five megapixel cameras. You can also zoom in without any loss in quality (but than you'll obviously lose the benefit of the pixel binning). It's got a huge 1/1.2"-sensor which is also helpful and a Carl Zeiss lens.

We're talking about pure quality here.

----------

They should give users more options, yeah. But the S3 doesn't have a better camera. It's got more options, but the camera isn't better. The Galaxy S3's sensor is the same as in the iPhone 4S. The onliest difference between the 4S and the S3 are the lenses: the iPhone 4S' lenses are superior.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I like my 4S camera and I think it takes great pictures but I don't like how you can't adjust White balance, ISO, exposure, etc etc.. I've bought a couple camera apps and apparently nothing for iOS offer these basic features.

But from the phones I've owned the 4S takes the best pics. I'm sure there are better out there.

12. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

In my own experience, it has the best camera of any smartphone I've ever owned. I am impressed by the quality of its pics. Plus, photostream makes it an easy way to export its photos to my computer.

13. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

While I hasn't compared it to the Nokia, it is clearly better than the best Android has to offer, the HTC One X and the S3.

The HTC One X is actually quite bad at taking photos. This is the best comparison of the HTC One X camera vs the iPhone 4S camera. It simply shows you the results and lets you form your own conclusions:

http://www.techradar.com/videos/htc-one-x-vs-iphone-4s-camera-test-aJ2D7rM1i3OVz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dynamic range is very bad, with highlights consistently blown out, where the iPhone 4S shows additional detail in those areas. The Samsung Galaxy S3 actually looks worse than the HTC X in this area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

I've tried the 4s, one x, and SGS3, and personally, I thought the One X is probably the best.... It's very close though.... As said above, they all had their advantages and disadvantages - maybe the conditions I take my photos suit the One X than the 4s for example.

15. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

There was a comparison between the Nokia and the iPhone cameras I read a bit ago. Obviously, the Nokia won, but it wasn't a blowout.

The camera sensor and processing software make the iPhone (as well as the S3, since it uses the same sensor) a great phone camera. I just don't see any photographers buying the Nokia, just for that camera. I can't imagine that a phone company building a phone with the camera as your major selling point, especially when it doesn't come close to a DSLR camera.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

You read too far into my post. I never said the PureView was a bad camera, nor did I say it takes bad pictures.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How good is the iPhone camera?

When people want to know how good a camera is they ask if it's as good as the iPhone.

18. noteple macrumors 65816

Smartphone with a camera the 4s, HTC, S3

Camera with a smartphone the Nokia, if you don't mind the boil on the backside.

Half expected a rubber band holding the two assemblies together.

Carl Zeiss optics makes it Sound like a $1000 lens. Not.

41 meg pixels? Trying to make this thing sound like a Canon or Nikon high end SLR.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Most people only ask that because that's the only device they can name off the top of their head. Its all the hype. It has a very good camera but most people don't know that when they ask about other phones.

20. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Wow dude, how does it taste?

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

It was nothing more than a hyperbole.

22. bobTX10 macrumors member

I've taken photos with my one x while my family or frinds take the same picture with their iPhones and we always make the conclusion that the one x takes better pics. I don't now what it is, maybe it's the good quality screen I'm viewing them with or what but can't complain. Like other people have said aside from Nokia, the typical smartphone cameras have their pros and cons. Not one is vastly superior

23. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

One thing I can't disagree on is that the current iPhone's camera is indeed the best I've seen. However, the software behind it is terrible. If you can't even mess with the white balance...come on...

24. thewaffle macrumors newbie

thewaffle

Re:

do research before you start spouting out nonsense. That's why they make apps! The Iphones camera is one of the best there is; IMO it is not the very best but to say it's a complete joke is just flaming.