Does the iPhone iOS user interface ever need to be changed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fanboi4life, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

I know it's practical and it works, but does anyone think the UI needs an update??

Anything you'd like to change about it?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Nothing dramatic. It works. It's predictable. Everyone who picks up an iOS device knows it will work like every other iOS device.

It will evolve over time where it needs to. Where changes make things actually easier to use.

Change for the sake of change is not necessary.

3. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I'd like to see the dock altered to match the new dock in Mountain Lion. Ditto for the Notification Center, which looks better in Mountain Lion than it does in iOS 6.

I'd like to see the icons for Weather, Clock, and other stock apps update dynamically (this has been requested for years of course, so not exactly a new idea).

Live wallpaper is a bit gimmicky but would make things feel a bit fresher.

If Apple did all of that in iOS 7 I think people would feel satisfied that there'd been enough of a cosmetic change.

4. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I don't think it NEEDS to be changed....but a lot of diehard users (me included) would like to see some kind of widget integration, or a big change to the look. I don't think anyone has ever been late or lost time in having to swipe or press one extra time in order to see weather/news/info , but a refresh to design is always cool

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Your name is Fanboi4life and you are questioning the perfect creation of our Lord Steve Jobs?

6. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I think we will continue to see iOS evolve, but I don't think we are going to see a ground up overhaul like MS did moving from WindowsPhone 6 to 7.

7. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

I can easily agree with all of this, especially the "change for the sake of change is not necessary."

8. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I have been using iOS since iOS 2 and remember people complaining over not being able to have wallpaper(back when jail breaking was actually needed for the wallpaper). I hope they don't change the basic look because everything flows perfectly with iOS. People will always find something to complain about and apple will change it but I am sure the look will stay the same.

9. scriptx macrumors newbie

Yes!!!

I personally feel it is dated (but I have been using iPhones since the first 3g). It also has a lot of usability issues. I am actually surprised good UI gets tagged with Apple. Some aspects are good mind you, but it has a lot of frustrations. I ask myself this every time I have to bookmark a page and first, mistakenly mind you, click the bookmark button. Or, when I go to remove a few contacts and it takes me minutes of fumbling through the UI to figure it out. How about optimizing for multiple use cases? I travel and I do a weird thing with my phone... I use it to talk. I know, so old school. Long story short, I am killing every unnecessary battery suck in the phone to preserve battery but they are menus deep. Put them on the home screen or in the notification area already! The double click home button that I can never seem to get my speed down right and multiple actions to lock orientation which I turn on/off frequently. Try searching for text in a web page, that is terribly intuitive. After I looked it up three or four times I finally have it remembered... Why do some icons not let me drop them in a folder?

Seriously, I don't know how apple got tagged with good UI. I mean back in the day you had to drag the floppy disk icon to the trash can to eject the disk. For some reason I guess I would have thought that would erase the disk...

10. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I want apple to license SBSettings and include it native in the notification tray. The only single JB tweak that I'm really missing since I went from my JB'd 4S to the 5.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As they say the only things sure in life are Taxes and CHANGE.

Wouldn't it more useful to ask what changes would u like to see?

Some people complaint IOS UI should be more customizable.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The Mac UI remains largely unchanged from the 80s except for the obvious improvements made. The menu bar is still at the top, the icons still populate on the right hand side, and the trash is still there, just in the dock now.

It shouldn't be different with the iPhone UI, make the changes that you need over time, but no need to change things for the hell of it.

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Being able to change the colour of the UI would be good a la themes.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Still to this day, you drag discs and flash drives to the trash to eject them. Gotta love Apple.