Does the iPhone seem like it will gain durability in its next update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ariii, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

The iPhone is very popular and useful for a lot of people, but there are so many people out there who like how the older phones like the Nokia (A lot of times as a joke :) ) could withstand a lot of force. A lot of people I know have had problems wit broken iPhones etc., so I think something like this would give many people another reason to buy an iPhone. I know that cases are a good workaround for this, but screen damage, probably one of the most common problems, can't be easily fixed by getting a case. And plenty of people have reasons why they don't like cases as well. Does this sound like it might happen in the future, if it's possible in the first place?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes, it can. There are plenty of cases out there that will limit screen damage.

If someone doesn't like cases and is worried about the screen, then they shouldn't be looking at any smartphone since just about all of them have the same fragile screen issue.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Based on what? No hard facts have been provided. Take your pick of rumor...

You can't guarantee that a screen won't break but there are cases that mitigate impact better than others. In other words, you can't buy a basic bumper style case and expect it to to protect the screen. I wouldn't expect Apple to ruggedize the iPhone. If one wants such a solution then a case is the way to do it.

The older Nokias were tougher but they were much simpler devices. You don't get something for nothing. If you're willing to deal with the bulk of a ruggedized iPhone then why would a case be any different from a practical standpoint? Certainly feel free to write Apple though.

4. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if Apple used the new Gorilla Glass 2 that allows it to be 20% thinner with the same hardness.

Maybe it is me, but i always stick my smartphones in some sort of case with some sort of screen protector. No matter how durable they are, better a $10, or even a $50 case from Otterbox take the pounding as opposed to getting the device itself gouged up.

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Those old Nokia's, as well as most phones of the pre-smartphone boom of the last 6 years, had a lot less hardware. They were durable because they were plastic, not glass like we usually use now. No fancy camera, no wifi, no bluetooth, no real internal storage, etc. The iPhone has a lot packed in to a small area- and the glass front is likely not going anywhere. The current design gets a lot of grief, but I remember just as many people complaining about their iPhone 3G cracking or shattering. They are made to be used on the go so they are a lot more susceptible to accidents and that will never change.

Bottom line is, we need to be careful with our gadgets. Or insure them. Or both.