Does the iPhone stay unlocked if I lose the Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Apr 1, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I want to jailbreak and unlock my AT&T iPhone 4 and give it to a family member who lives overseas.

Question - After they put in their local SIM card, can they keep the iPhone updated via iTunes without losing the unlock? Obviously when they sync to iTunes they are going to lose the jailbreak, I just want to know if they will lose the carrier unlock as well or is the unlock operation a one time deal?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depending on the firmware and baseband version the i4 is you might not be able to unlock. Not all iphones can be unlocked.
    And when you update to new firmware you can kiss the unlock goodbye, they are not forever, only temporary and if you dont know what you're doing you can lose the unlock for good.
    Best option if you want to give them an unlocked iphone sells yours and purchase a factory unlocked. That will never lock to any carrier and can be used with any sim.

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a bummer. Buying an unlocked iPhone at full price is not an option. Since the people I am giving the phone to are not tech savvy (at least to the point of being able to jailbreak the phone), I guess they will just be stuck with an older version of the OS without being able to update the phone when Apple releases them. This blows :(