Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
When I'm playing music, I'll see the music app on the lock screen on the left. Just like the camera app on the right. Swipe up and I'm at my music instantly. But it isn't there often. It randomly shows up.

Any experiences with this?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
When I'm playing music, I'll see the music app on the lock screen on the left. Just like the camera app on the right. Swipe up and I'm at my music instantly. But it isn't there often. It randomly shows up.

Any experiences with this?
It appears in situations that your phone thinks you're going to open Music. (ex. plugging in headphones.)

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
This was a feature on iOS8 and it's the phone guessing what you want to do based on time and location.

For example, mine is always music when I get in my car so I can choose what I want to listen to but when I arrive at work it changes to Facebook because I like to have a little browse before I start my shift. Right now, at home the icon is Safari because it's not unsual for me to do some browsing before I get out of bed, when I went shopping last week it was Starbucks because it didn't know what to do with itself but Starbucks was just around the corner.

I hope that helps. The more you use your phone in different environments, the more it will learn about you. You'll probably notice pretty soon that if you drive, your phone will have learnt where you work and will tell you how long it takes to get there once you've sat in your car.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
This was a feature on iOS8 and it's the phone guessing what you want to do based on time and location.

For example, mine is always music when I get in my car so I can choose what I want to listen to but when I arrive at work it changes to Facebook because I like to have a little browse before I start my shift. Right now, at home the icon is Safari because it's not unsual for me to do some browsing before I get out of bed, when I went shopping last week it was Starbucks because it didn't know what to do with itself but Starbucks was just around the corner.

I hope that helps. The more you use your phone in different environments, the more it will learn about you. You'll probably notice pretty soon that if you drive, your phone will have learnt where you work and will tell you how long it takes to get there once you've sat in your car.

Oh wow. How convenient. How do you turn it on so that it knows my location and make suggestions? I've never seen this. Like ever. And I've had iPhones for years

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Oh wow. How convenient. How do you turn it on so that it knows my location and make suggestions? I've never seen this. Like ever. And I've had iPhones for years

I think it may all just be a part of Location services. You probably didn't notice before because it was crap on iOS8. With iOS9 it's become a lot more accurate and actually useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.